More severe storms to hit Qld: BOM

Authorities recommend staying out of floodwaters, even if they look manageable. Source: AAP

Parts of central and southeast Queensland are expected to again be hit by severe thunderstorms, less than a day after a man was killed in floodwaters.

More severe thunderstorms bringing damaging winds and heavy rain are forecast to hit parts of Queensland already cleaning up after wild weather overnight.

The Bureau of Meteorology issued a warning on Sunday afternoon for the Central Highlands, Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay-Burnett, Maranoa, Warrego Darling Downs, Granite Belt and Southeast Coast forecast districts.

"Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours," the alert said.

Areas that may be affected include Warwick, Gatton, Emerald, Gin Gin and Clermont.

Heavy falls have been recorded at Mt Fort William, south of Gladstone, where 52mm of rain fell between 1-2pm (AEST).

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is warning residents in affected areas to be prepared, while Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has again urged Queenslanders not to attempt to drive through flooded areas.

"We have to keep reminding people: 'if it's flooded forget it'," she said.

"Please do not put your life or your family's life at risk."

Severe thunderstorms hit much of the state overnight, with 100-125mm of rain recorded along the coast from Gladstone south to the Sunshine Coast.

A 68-year-old man was killed when the SUV he was travelling in was swept away in floodwaters on a causeway at St Kilda, inland from Bundaberg, in the early hours of Sunday.

The 64-year-old driver managed to escape, but his passenger, believed to be his brother, was found dead inside the SUV when swift water rescue teams arrived about 2.20am (AEST).

A QFES spokeswoman said four people and two horses had to be rescued after a vehicle carrying a horse float became stuck at Apple Tree Creek, near St Kilda, about 2.45am.

About half an hour later a person was rescued from a tree at nearby Wallaville.

None of the people or animals was hurt in either incident.

Source: AAP