Perth Wildcats centre Matt Knight has a history of concussion issues, and he has been ruled out of the NBL clash with the Sydney Kings.
The NBL future of Matt Knight is up in the air, with the Perth centre copping another worrying knock to his head.
Knight, who has a history of concussion issues, has been ruled out of the Wildcats' Friday night home clash with Sydney after copping an elbow to the head on Monday at training.
The 32-year-old almost retired at the end of last season after a series of concussions, and he had already announced he would hang up his singlet at the end of this campaign.
However, his latest blow could fast-track those retirement plans.
Knight had already been struck in the face twice in games this season, and the Wildcats have taken a cautious approach after the accidental blow to his head at training.
Coach Trevor Gleeson said he would leave any long-term decision in Knight's court.
"We know it's been a delicate issue since last season's grand final. We'll certainly do what's in the best interests for Matty," Gleeson said.
"That (whether he should play again) is something we'll go through, I guess, in the near future.
"But first and foremost, it's Matt's decision. We'll support him whatever way he wants to go.
"But we know we have a duty of care to him as well so that's a balance that we're going through at the moment."
Gleeson said although the training blow was only minor, it was the right decision to rest Knight against the Kings.
"It's just death of a thousand cuts. Matty's had a lot of hits in the head so it's the right thing to do," Gleeson said.
"If you have an injury and you can't practise going into the game, we certainly won't risk you on game day.
"(The hit was) no more severe and it's not like it was a great big hit. It's a thousand hits. Which one does it, the first one or the last one?
"We'll evaluate it more in the coming days and see how we go."
Perth sit on top of the table with a 4-1 record, while the pressure is mounting on Sydney after their 2-4 start to the season.