After surgery last week, 37-year-old Italian cyclist Ivan Basso does not need further treatment for testicular cancer.
Italian cyclist Ivan Basso does not require further treatment for testicular cancer after undergoing surgery last week, his Tinkoff-Saxo team said late on Monday.
"The patient has perfectly recovered from the intervention," said Professor Francesco Montorsi of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.
"The final histological examination shows, currently, no indication for additional treatment and the patient will be closely observed during the following months."
The 37-year-old Basso had his left testicle removed after a so-called seminoma - a form of testicular cancer - was discovered by good fortune following a crash in the Tour de France.
Basso, a two-time winner of the Giro d'Italia, withdrew from the Tour on July 13 when he was diagnosed with the disease to return to Italy for immediate treatment.
"I am extremely happy with the outcome of the surgery and I would like to deeply thank Tinkoff-Saxo's team doctor, Piet De Moor, the doctors and medical staff of the Tour de France, as well as Professor Montorsi and his team," Basso said.
"Professor Montorsi has allowed me to travel by plane and I look forward to meeting the rest of the Tinkoff-Saxo squad in Paris to celebrate the end of the Tour de France."