Police search Melbourne house after terror siege

A member of the bomb squad is seen outside the Buckingham Serviced Apartments in Brighton, Melbourne, Tuesday, June 6, 2017. Source: AAP

Police are searching the Melbourne house where the terrorist responsible for the Brighton siege lived with his mother.

Police are scouring a house in suburban Melbourne for evidence after a terrorist siege in Brighton saw two men killed and three police shot.

Sherwin Place in Roxburgh Park has been blocked off and police have set up tents in the street as they search the house where the 29-year-old criminal Yacqub Khayre lived with his mother.

He killed an innocent apartment clerk and took a female escort hostage in Brighton on Monday, in what could have been a bid to lure police into a terrorist attack.

Dozens of police are milling around the Roxburgh Park house, removing bags of evidence.

Neighbour Icy Agustsson said the family mostly kept to themselves and he had no idea Khayre was a terror suspect.

"I don't talk to them much, people keep to themselves in this area," Mr Agustsson told reporters.

"But it doesn't worry me, you get used to it and see it on TV. (Police) have to do their job.

Khayre had been acquitted of charges over a 2009 plot to attack Holsworthy army base in western Sydney.

"You don't get shocked in this area. But no I had no idea (he'd been on terror charges)," Mr Agustsson said.

The Somali-born man was on parole when he shot dead the apartment clerk and barricaded himself inside a room on Monday afternoon.

At 6pm he fled the building, firing at police and injuring three of them before they killed him in a hail of bullets.

Source AAP

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch