Australia

Public falls victim in Vic govt attack

The Victorian government will use its majority in the lower house to condemn Matthew Guy's actions. (AAP)

Innocent bystanders' financial and medical records have been leaked in a government attack on Victoria's opposition leader.

Innocent bystanders' financial and medical records have become casualties in an attack on Victoria's opposition leader, but Premier Daniel Andrews insists he's just done what parliament wants.

The government ordered the release of 80,000 documents in an effort to attack Matthew Guy over his botched rezoning of Ventnor at Phillip Island, when he was planning minister in 2011.

"Take responsibility for this gross abuse of power done in your name for the sake of political vengeance," Mr Guy said during question time on Thursday.

But Mr Andrews insisted his government was just complying with a March motion passed by the parliament - which he controls - to release the documents.

"The motion of this house and agencies' officials and the government complied fully with that motion," he told parliament.

It was revealed on Thursday among the documents were personal details of a lawyer, including her mental health, financial and familial details.

Those have now been removed.

"That's inadvertent, that's unfortunate, we've apologised to the person involved," Mr Andrews told reporters.

The government then moved in the lower house to give the speaker the power to remove private details, on an ad hoc basis as complaints arise.

Mr Guy said the "disgusting debacle is a snapshot into the premier's soul."

Former privacy commissioner David Watts told 3AW the government could now be open to a class action.

"It seems a number of people have been, or could have been affected. They would be well advised to seek some legal advice about how best to prosecute this through the courts," he said.

In 2011, Mr Guy approved the rezoning farmland for housing at Ventnor on Phillip Island, sparking widespread backlash.

He quickly reversed his decision, but that prompted a legal battle with the would-be developer, who also had connections to the Liberal Party.

In 2013 that case settled for a then-private sum.

But the documents tabled by Labor revealed taxpayers were slugged $3.5 million dollars to settle.

On Thursday afternoon the lower house passed a censure motion against Mr Guy which demanded he resign and pay back the money.

Both parties are now heading to the November state election covered in mud.

Labor is under police investigation over its misuse of parliamentary allowances during 2014 to partially pay for election staff.

It was also reported on Thursday Mr Andrews had been at events and shopped at the fruit and vegetable store of alleged mafia leader Tony Madafferi - the same man Mr Guy was revealed to have shared a lobster dinner with last year.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch