Qld man pleads guilty to funding, recruiting people for Syrian conflict

0:00

Queensland man Omar Succarieh has pleaded guilty to four counts of funding and recruiting people to engage in armed hostilities in Syria, while other terror related charges have been dropped.

Appearing in the Queensland Supreme Court this morning ahead of a scheduled trial starting next week, 33-year-old Omar Succarieh answered guilty to each charge before Justice Atkinson.

In a statement to SBS, the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions said "today's plea of guilty followed charge negotiations between Federal Prosecutors and lawyers acting for Succarieh in accordance with the Prosecution Policy of the Commonwealth".

The prosecution earlier in the hearing withdrew two charges that Succarieh had in 2014 "intentionally made funds available to a terrorist organisation, namely Jabhat al-Nusra, knowing that organisation was a terrorist organisation".

Succarieh was arrested in September 2014 when Australian Federal Police raided his Islamic bookshop and other premises and his bail applications have been repeatedly refused.

“The prosecution presented a new indictment that contained four charges under the Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978,” lawyers for Succarieh said in a statement after the hearing.

"Immediately upon the presentation of the new charges by the prosecution, Succarieh entered pleas of guilty on each count."

“Mr Succarieh no longer faces any charges under Part 5.3 of the Commonwealth Crimes Code, which related to terrorism offences.”

A suppression order on reporting any proceedings related to the trial until a verdict was reached was lifted by Justice Atkinson following an application by SBS.

Succarieh plead guilty to “commissioning of an offence under section 6 of the Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978 namely facilitating the arrangements for the safe passage of Agim Kruezi to enter the foreign state of Syria with the intent for Agim Kurezi to engage in hostile activities there in”, which dated to or about February 28, 2014.

He plead guilty to between January 4 and March 10, 2014 “facilitating the arrangements for the safe passage of Agium Kruezi to enter the foreign state of Syria”.

Succarieh also pleaded guilty to two charges of providing money between January 7 to March 15 and June 3 to July 15 2014 to “Abraham Succarieh and others associated with him with the intention of supporting or promoting the commission of an offence under section 6 of the Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978 namely the engagement by those persons in hostile activities in the foreign state of Syria, in particular in engaging in armed hostilities in Syria”.

He has been remanded in custody for sentencing on Tuesday, November 1.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch