Qld's Morgan defends Sims after late hit

Michael Morgan has confirmed he will start at centre in the State of Origin series decider. (AAP)

Queensland's Michael Morgan says he has recovered from the concussion caused by Tariq Sims' late hit and will start in next week's State of Origin decider.

He may not remember it but Michael Morgan has defended the late Tariq Sims hit which rubbed the NSW forward out of the State of Origin series decider.

The North Queensland-based Queensland centre admitted he was "pretty rocked" by the tackle from the St George Illawarra enforcer in the last NRL round, and had no recollection of the incident.

It ensured Morgan was kept on light training duties with the Maroons before finally being cleared of concussion on Thursday for the July 10 decider.

But Morgan felt for Sims after the Dragons forward copped a one-match ban for his hit on the Cowboys playmaker, ensuring he missed Origin III.

Asked if "justice had been done", Morgan on Friday said he remained unsure.

"My opinion on the tackle is I don't think there was malice in it," Morgan said.

"He didn't come flying out and try and take my head off.

"It was probably unfortunately for him a tackle that went a bit wrong.

"I was knocked out cold so there was contact with the head but I don't think it was a malicious tackle by any means."

Yet Morgan admitted he was struggling after the Sims contact.

"It's all good now. I was pretty dazed on Friday night but since then I have had no headaches or dizziness," Morgan said.

"I don't actually remember it (incident) and I don't remember the next half an hour walking off (the field) - I don't even know if I did an HIA test in the sheds.

"I was pretty rocked. But since then I have felt pretty good."

There was speculation Morgan may come off the bench after utility Moses Mbye was seen running at left centre at training.

And after Morgan was also spotted doing kicking drills this week, there were rumours the Cowboys star may spend time in the No.6 jersey.

But Morgan insisted he would run out in the centres.

"I have been named there (in the centres) but I couldn't really do much at all (at training)," the 27-year-old said.

"Since I was passed yesterday I am cleared to do contact and everything now."

Morgan admitted his first preference would be to slot in at pivot after regular five-eighth Cameron Munster was moved to fullback due to the injury withdrawal of Kalyn Ponga.

However Queensland coach Kevin Walters has rolled the dice and named debutant Corey Norman to wear No.6 on July 10.

"Obviously it (five-eighth) is my preferred position. But Normy has been named there," Morgan said.

"I am not coming in with a bad attitude or anything. Normy has got his chance at six and I will do what I can to support him."

Source AAP

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch