A fireworks display for a corporate event had been due to take place at Sydney Harbour was deemed to be in poor taste and has been cancelled.
A fireworks display on Sydney Harbour has been cancelled after an earlier event was deemed to be in "shockingly bad taste" given parts of the state are still battling unprecedented bushfires.
A display for a corporate event had been due to take place on Thursday evening on the harbour.
But it will not go ahead after Transport for NSW temporarily banned on-water fireworks while a week-long state of emergency remains in place.
People on Twitter criticised a display on Wednesday which came just 24 hours after parts of the state faced "catastrophic" fire danger and as dozens of blazes continued to rage.
The fireworks were described as being in "shockingly bad taste" and "wrong on every level".
The NSW bushfires have claimed the lives of four people since Friday and damaged or destroyed more than 400 homes.
Andrew Howard, director of Howard and Sons Pyrotechnics, said it wasn't his call to proceed with Wednesday's event.
"It wasn't my decision to proceed. I was contracted to provide the services for the event," he told AAP.
Mr Howard said he would not have gone ahead with the display if it was up to him, knowing the "effect on the entire community" the bushfires had.
"It certainly could've been (deemed insensitive) to people who feel that it was. I totally respect their position on it," he said.
But he reiterated Wednesday's pyrotechnics were lawful, having been granted an exemption from the total fire ban.
Rural Fire Service NSW deputy commissioner Rob Rogers defended Wednesday's eight-minute display saying it had been declared safe by authorities.
Transport for NSW said the granting of licences for on-water fireworks displays will be reviewed again on Monday.