The Sydney cafe siege hostages who have sold their stories to TV networks for large sums of money have the right to do so, an inquest has been told.
15 Dec 2014 - 10:52 AM  UPDATED 29 Jan 2015 - 7:41 PM
Wednesday 11 Mar 2015
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda has spoken from 'lockdown' inside a central Sydney building after a siege broke out in the Lindt cafe in Martin Place.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Mick Gooda was one of many people in lockdown inside buildings in central Sydney today after a siege broke out in a Martin Place café.Commissioner Gooda said he was in a meeting at...
Tuesday 24 Feb 2015
Today’s siege inside a central Sydney café indicates a real threat of terror in Australia, according to an Australian terrorism analyst.
Live updates: Sydney siegeA siege in central Sydney signals a greater risk of terror attacks, terrorism analyst Clark Jones says.An armed man has been holding hostage an unknown number of people inside the Lindt café in Sydney’s CBD since...
Thursday 29 Jan 2015
Details from Sydney's Lindt cafe siege have been revealed with a coroner saying such horrifying events have rarely unfolded so publicly.
Seventeen hours after Man Haron Monis walked into Sydney's Lindt cafe and ordered a cup of tea and cake, he forced shop manager Tori Johnson to kneel.He then shot him in the back of the head without further warning.Moments later, Sydney barrister...
The Sydney cafe siege hostages who have sold their stories to TV networks for large sums of money have the right to do so, an inquest has been told.
The Sydney cafe siege hostages who have sold their stories to TV networks for large sums of money have the right to do so, an inquest has been told.It comes after much debate, including comments from former Victoria premier Jeff Kennett,...
Here is a timeline of how the Lindt cafe siege unfolded in Sydney on December 15-16, as it emerged from the first day of the inquest.
DECEMBER 158.33am - Man Haron Monis enters the Lindt Cafe on Martin Place * He wears camouflage pants, black jacket, baseball cap, black backpack, and carries a plastic bag * Monis carries a hidden pump-action shotgun sawn off at butt and barrel*...

Hostage victim Katrina Dawson was killed by ricocheting fragments of a police bullet or bullets after officers stormed the Sydney Lindt cafe siege following the execution of Tori Johnson, an inquest has heard.

The opening day of the inquest into the deaths of barrister Ms Dawson and cafe manager Mr Johnson heard graphic details of the events that unfolded at the end of the Martin Place siege last month.

"Ms Dawson was struck by six fragments of a police bullet or bullets which ricocheted from hard surfaces into her body," counsel assisting the coroner Jeremy Gormly SC said.

Mr Gormly said gunman Man Haron Monis made Mr Johnson kneel on the floor of the cafe early on December 16.

"After a short lapse of time, Mr Monis simply shot him without further notice or warning in the back of the head," he said.

"The end of the barrel was about 75cm from Mr Johnson's head at the moment of discharge.

"Mr Johnson is believed to have died immediately.

"The shot was witnessed by a police marksman who called it in.

"That resulted in immediate order to force entry of the cafe."

Mr Gormly told the inquest Monis was believed to have been trying to reload his shotgun when he was killed.

The inquest heard that on the morning of December 15, Monis went into the cafe and ordered a piece of chocolate cake.

(AAP)

He asked to be moved to a table close to the rear doors, enabling him to see the whole cafe, before requesting to speak to the manager.

Those who knew Mr Johnson could tell he was stressed by what Monis was telling him, the inquest sitting at the NSW Coroner's Court in Sydney heard on Thursday.

Mr Johnson told staff to shut the cafe down.

Monis then put on a vest and a bandanna.

He stood up, produced a pump action shotgun and by one account, he stated: "This is an attack, I have a bomb."

READ MORE

A former Australian Army member has questioned the use of weapon used by authorities in the Sydney siege, which resulted in the deaths of three people.
 Sydney siege: How the events unfoldedSiege inquest begins in SydneyThe comments from Mitchell McAlister, a veteran of the Australian Defence Force and former member of the Tactical Assault Group, come as in inquest into the December siege at...