The furious family of an Indigenous man who died in custody in NSW two years ago has marched to the gates of the prison to confront guards.
Furious relatives of Indigenous man David Dungay Jr, who died in custody in NSW, have confronted guards outside his former prison on the second anniversary of his death.
The 26-year-old diabetic was three weeks away from being released on parole when he was restrained and died in Sydney's Long Bay Prison Hospital in 2015 because he refused to stop eating biscuits.
His grieving family is now waiting for an inquest into the matter which will be held in July 2018.
They marched with supporters to the entrance of the prison on Friday, with Mr Dungay's furious younger relatives unleashing a tirade of abuse to several guards through the closed prison gates.
"Send them out, the eight (guards) who were involved," nephew Paul Silva yelled.
"How would your family feel? I can't even f***ing sleep."
David's mother, Leetona Dungay, demanded to know why she had been told there was no CCTV footage to show whether her son was okay the day before the incident.
"Watch your children," she yelled to several visitors waiting at the entrance to see inmates.
"This is what they did to my son."
Ms Dungay said every time she attended a march or rally it stirred up grief, but being at the prison on the second anniversary was especially tough.
"Once I get through the coroner's court and get justice, I'll feel much better," she told AAP.
Ms Dungay wants to see more safeguards in all prisons to make sure deaths in custody are stopped.
"Our people aren't sent in there to be apes and animals and treated unfairly," she said.
"That goes for every nationality - we all deserve to be treated like a human being, not like an ape.
"We're not guinea pigs for them."
Last month, Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee scheduled a a 10-day inquest for July 2018 and acknowledged the Dungay family's patience had been tested.