Former NSW detective Gary Jubelin has denied allegations he illegally recorded conversations while searching for missing three-year-old William Tyrrell.
Former high-profile NSW police detective Gary Jubelin has formally denied allegations he conducted illegal surveillance while leading the fresh search for missing three-year-old William Tyrrell.
Jubelin, backed by dozens of supporters, faced Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday for the first time since being charged in June.
His barrister Margaret Cunneen SC entered not guilty pleas to four offences under the Surveillance Devices Act.
Jubelin pleaded his innocence to reporters outside court, supported by victims' relatives including the parents of murdered man Matthew Leveson.
"Those (four recorded) conversations were with a person about the disappearance of William Tyrrell," the former detective said.
"I had a lawful right and an operational need to record those conversations.
"I have made no attempt to conceal the fact I recorded those conversations."
Jubelin was taken off the case earlier this year before he was charged in June.
He said he'd since resigned from the force after deciding his position had become untenable.
"I have absolutely no animosity in regards to the NSW Police," he said.
"It's been a privilege working with the hard, dedicated police officers of NSW."
The father of Matthew Leveson told reporters Jubelin was a detective who worked hard, pushed boundaries and thought outside the square.
"Most importantly, (he) thinks of victims of crime always," Mark Leveson said.
Earlier, inside a courtroom packed with Jubelin supporters, Ms Cunneen said she wanted the brief of evidence served and the matter listed "without delay".
Jubelin has been excused from the next court appearance on September 24.