Australia

Turnbull calls on Pope to sack archbishop over cover-up

Combo image of Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull and Archbishop Philip Wilson. Source: AAP

The Pope should take direct action and sack Archbishop Philip Wilson following his sentencing for concealing child sexual abuse, says Malcolm Turnbull.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has called on the Pope to sack Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson.

The 67-year-old Catholic cleric was sentenced to 12 months in jail earlier this month for concealing child sexual abuse, but he plans to appeal.

"He should have resigned, and the time has come for the Pope to sack him," Mr Turnbull told reporters in Sydney on Thursday.

Archbishop Wilson was sentenced after being found guilty of failing to report to police the historical indecent assault of two altar boys.

Pope Francis (C) during the funeral of Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, 12 July 2018.
Pope Francis (C) during the funeral of Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, 12 July 2018.
AAP

Magistrate Robert Stone in Newcastle Local Court sentenced Wilson to imprisonment with a non-parole period of six months.

However, he ordered that Wilson is assessed for home detention which would allow him to serve his sentence in the community. The matter will be heard again on August 14.

He is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be convicted of concealing child sex abuse.

Archbishop Philip Wilson leaves Newcastle Local Court, in Newcastle after sentencing, Tuesday, July 3, 2018.
Archbishop Philip Wilson leaves Newcastle Local Court, in Newcastle after sentencing, Tuesday, July 3, 2018.
AAP

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch