Middle East

US cyber attacks on Iran failed, says communications minister

0:00

Iran's communications minister says reported US cyber attacks against the country's rocket launch systems were unsuccessful.

Iranian Information and Communications Technology (ICT) minister, Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi said on Sunday that US cyber attacks against Iranian targets have not been successful.

It comes days after reports the Pentagon launched a long-planned cyber attack to disable the country's rocket launch systems.

On Friday, US President Donald Trump said he called off a military strike that intended to retaliate against the Middle East nation's downing of an unmanned US drone, in hopes of a more diplomatic solution. However, tension has run high between the longtime foes.

The Pentagon reportedly launched a long-planned cyber attack which disabled Iranian rocket launch systems on Thursday.

"They try hard, but have not carried out a successful attack," Mr Jahromi said on Twitter.

"Media asked if the claimed cyber attacks against Iran are true ... last year we neutralised 33 million attacks with the (national) firewall," he said.

Mr Jahromi called attacks on Iranian computer networks "cyber-terrorism", referring to Stuxnet, the first publicly known example of a virus used to attack industrial machinery, which targeted Iran's nuclear facilities in 2007.

0:00
US to hit Iran with 'major' new sanctions
US to hit Iran with 'major' new sanctions

Washington accused Tehran of also stepping up cyber attacks.

US officials including Director of the Department of Homeland Security's cybersecurity agency, Chris Krebs have a detected a rise in "malicious cyber activity" directed at the US by people tied to the Iranian government. 

"We will continue to work with our intelligence community and cybersecurity partners to monitor Iranian cyber activity, share information, and take steps to keep America and our allies safe," Mr Krebs said.

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch