Synthetic cannabis will be used in a medical trial hoping to aid sufferers of severe epilepsy in Melbourne.
VICTORIA TO TAKE PART IN TRIALS OF MEDICINAL CANNABIS
* The Access to Medicinal Cannabis Bill that Victoria's parliament is set to debate this month could legalise medicinal cannabis products for severely ill patients.
* 10 kids from Victoria with severe epilepsy will take part in an ongoing international trial of synthetic cannabis.
* Victoria will join a NSW-led trial late this year of cannabis and cannabis-derived products for the terminally ill.
* If the Access to Medicinal Cannabis Bill passes, a cannabis cultivation trial will get underway with the first patients expected to be able to access products from 2017.
* Chemical structure different to THC (the active component of cannabis) but effects are similar to cannabis.
* Usually sold combined with herbs.
* Is a depressant drug, main active chemical is THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol).
* Comes in three forms:
* Marijuana: the dried plant that's smoked
* Hashish: dried resin usually mixed with tobacco or added to foods
* Hash oil: a liquid usually added to the tip of a cigarette