Teenagers could be detained without charge for up to two weeks on suspicion of terrorist-related activity under new laws being considered in Victoria.
Victorian teenagers being radicalised online could be detained for up to two weeks without charge, as federal ministers attack the state for lenient terrorism sentences.
Would-be terrorists as young as 14 could be detained and questioned as Victoria looks at following NSW's lead on terror law reform.
"If a person under 18 is believed to be a serious risk of committing a violent terrorist act then we have an obligation to the community," Victorian Attorney-General Martin Pakula told ABC radio on Tuesday.
"They (teenagers) do seem to be susceptible to some of the online radicalisation that some of the groups like IS are perpetrating."
Victoria is considering legislation similar to the NSW laws that allow police to hold teen terror suspects without charge for up to two weeks.
The move comes as three federal ministers have criticised Victorian judges for what the MPs say are lenient sentences and parole conditions given to convicted terrorists.
Prosecutors are appealing the seven-and-a-half year sentence give to Anzac Day terror plotter Sevdat Besim, on the grounds it is too low. They compared it to longer terror sentences handed down in NSW.
Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said the appeal judges appeared to be endorsing shorter terror sentences.
"The state courts should not be places for ideological experiments in the face of global and local threats from Islamic extremism that has led to such tragic losses," he told The Australian.
But Mr Pakula warned federal Attorney-General George Brandis to tell his colleagues to be "extremely careful" about influencing matters before the courts.
"You've got three commonwealth ministers in what is clearly an orchestrated attack trying to put improper pressure and to try and exercise and put undue improper influence on the court." Mr Pakula told ABC radio.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews warned federal MPs to be "more careful" about how they talk about terror cases.
"We are all entitled to our views but how they are expressed, when you are in position, you need to be just a little bit more careful than what those three ministers and assistants in whatever positions they might have been, today," he told reporters.
Mr Andrews last week went to COAG to push his plan to have Australia's spy agencies have a say on parole for suspected terrorists.
The political move came after parolee Yacqub Khayre killed a man, took an escort hostage and injured three police in Brighton on June 5.