The WA government has offered $1 million to a girl who suffered a catastrophic brain injury after an electric shock at a public housing property.
The family of a girl who suffered a catastrophic brain injury after a severe electric shock at a public housing property has been offered a $1 million act of grace payment from the West Australian government.
Denishar Woods, then aged 11, was shocked with up to 230 volts when she touched a garden tap at a Beldon property in March.
The Public Trustee will administer the money while the family awaits the outcome of any civil claim against the state or other parties, which could take some time.
"The $1 million will be deducted from any damages which are ultimately awarded against the state and/or repayment in the event Denishar recovers damages from a non-state party," the government said in a statement.
Housing minister Peter Tinley said the money would take stress off the family and provide financial freedom.
Denishar's mother Lacey Harrison told AAP the offer, which was made just before Christmas, was a relief for the family to be able to move forward this year.
"Denishar's still smiling and happy all the time but I can tell she is sad too," Ms Harrison said on Wednesday.
"She's realising how badly trapped she is inside that little body."
The mother-of-seven said one of her other children had to help Denishar unwrap a Christmas present.
"She was a bit sad at Christmas - she knows she could do that before but her body won't allow her to do it now."
Ms Harrison said she hoped some of the money could be used to increase Denishar's appointments with a physiotherapist and speech pathologist.
A previous $100,000 act of grace payment was used to buy a specially-modified vehicle, allowing Denishar to be easily transported in a wheelchair.
The state government is also constructing a house that will meet Denishar's long-term needs, and in the meantime the family is living rent-free in a Housing Authority property that has been specially modified.
The incident remains under investigation by the energy safety division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
Mr Tinley said the completion of the technical report was "imminent" and would reveal the failure in the electrical system.