It's the lowest daily case tally recorded in the state for more than four months as residents await the further easing of restrictions this weekend.
Victoria has recorded just two new coronavirus cases and no deaths in the past 24 hours as Premier Daniel Andrews prepares to announce a "significant" easing of restrictions this weekend.
It's the lowest daily case tally for more than four months, since 8 June, bringing Melbourne's 14-day following average down to 8.7.
One of the new cases is linked to a known outbreak, while one is under investigation.
There are, however, 17 mystery cases remaining in Melbourne, meaning infections where there is no known source, the health authorities said on Friday.
There are no mystery cases in regional Victoria.
Speaking to the media on Thursday, a jubilant Mr Andrews said Victorians should feel proud for decreasing the state's caseload so dramatically over recent weeks.
“Today is a day where we can be optimistic and we can be positive. And we can all as Victorians look to what we have achieved," he said.
"We have stayed the course, we have not let our frustration get the better of us. We have made a conscious decision to defeat this second wave and we have found that in ourselves to deal with the pain and the challenges of lockdown...
"This is no small thing."
Because of the work Victorians have done, Mr Andrews said the state was "well-placed to make some significant announcements on Sunday" but said he wouldn't make a final decision on the easing of restrictions until Saturday evening.
There was more good news in the regional town of Shepparton, in northern Victoria, where a COVID-19 outbreak had left three people infected and more than 400 of their contacts isolating.
It is believed a truck driver brought the virus into the town from Melbourne at the end of September, meaning coronavirus may have been circulating in the community for weeks.
Everyone in the Shepparton region has been told to get tested.
Mr Andrews said nearly 5,000 tests had been conducted in the region and there had been no more positive tests so far, with around 2,000 results confirmed.
The premier thanked the people across the Goulburn Valley for coming forward for testing.
"It makes me proud to see a community come together with a sense of purpose to defeat this second wave and to take control of this virus," he said.
Victoria's death toll now stands at 816, the national figure at 904.
People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your jurisdiction's restrictions on gathering limits. If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, stay home and arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
News and information is available in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus.