The reality for Queensland children who attended St Joseph's Neerkol orphanage.
THE EXPERIENCES OF CHILDREN AT THE NEERKOL ORPHANAGE AS TOLD BY FORMER RESIDENTS AT THE CHILD ABUSE ROYAL COMMISSION:
* A 67-year-old woman said she was sexually abused and raped more than 100 times from age 11 by priest Reginald Durham, who forced her to confess her "sins" and gave her absolution.
* Children who ran away were publicly flogged with whips as an example to others.
* Girls were forced to eat "ant sandwiches" under supervision to ensure compliance.
* Altar boys were routinely raped by a priest during Latin lessons.
* Bed-wetters had to stand with the toilet sheet draped over their heads during breakfast.
* Alternatively they were locked in storerooms or cupboards without food or water for up to a day.
* Nuns used rulers to beat boys on the genitals, which they referred to as "the devil".
* Girls who became friendly were forced to fight each other in boxing matches.
* Children were referred to by their last name or a number.