Federal Senator Nick Xenophon is returning to state politics in South Australia, but who is he?
WHO IS MR X:
* Although currently caught up in a citizenship saga over his British ancestry, Senator Xenophon was born in Adelaide in 1959.
* Before entering politics he was a personal injury lawyer.
* He was elected to the SA upper house in 1997 after running on a single-issue, no-pokies ticket.
* He became known for his media stunts with donkeys, pigs, and even a fake Elvis used to make political points.
* In 1998, he controversially voted with the SA Liberal government to privatise the state's electricity network.
* In the 2006 state election, he won 20.5 per cent of the upper house vote, enough to also have his running mate Ann Bressington elected.
* In 2007 he turned his attention to federal politics and was easily elected to the Senate, becoming a key crossbench powerbroker.
* He was successfully re-elected in 2013 and 2016 with his Xenophon team now holding three Senate seats and one lower house seat.