Who were the victims of the Christchurch mosque massacre?

Children, parents, grandparents. The identities of some of those killed in the shootings at two New Zealand mosques have emerged. According to reports, many died as heroes.

All 50 bodies of Christchurch mosque attacks to be released

The death toll from Friday's terror attack on two mosques in Christchurch has risen to 50 people, as residents continue to gather at memorial sites and churches across the city to lay flowers and mourn the victims.

New Zealand police have not yet made public a list of the attack victims, but the names and identities of some of those who lost their lives have been confirmed by family members.

They include young children who were there to pray with their parents, a teenager who dreamed of becoming a footballer, a teacher, refugees who had found a new home in New Zealand, and people from Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.

Mucad Ibrahim, 3

Three-year-old Mucad Ibrahim was "energetic, playful and liked to smile and laugh a lot".
Source: Supplied

According to reports, three-year-old Mucad Ibrahim died in his father's arms.

The toddler, believed to be the youngest victim of the massacre, was with his father and older brother Abdi at the Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue when the gunman opened fire.

Abdi, who is in his 20s, told New Zealand news outlet Stuff.co.nz his father pretended to be dead after being shot, but Abdi couldn't find Mucad as he fled the scene. The family searched, in vain, for Mucad at Christchurch hospital.

He described his younger brother as "energetic, playful and liked to smile and laugh a lot".

The family later posted a photo of Mucad with Abdi, with the caption including the message: "I am to God and to him we shall return".

Abdullahi Dirie, 4

This photo of Mucad and Abdi was posted on Abdi's Facebook page, along with the message: "this is not who we are."
Source: Supplied

The four-year-old was at the mosque with his father and four older siblings. Abdullahi's family were able to flee but Abdullahi was caught in the crossfire.

His uncle, 60-year-old Abdulrahman Hashi, told journalists that the young boy suffered gunshot wounds and later died in hospital.

“You cannot imagine how I feel,” he told the Washington Post. “He was the youngest in the family.

The family fled Somalia in the mid-1990s as refugees. New Zealand had been their home for more than 20 years.

Sayyad Milne, 14

Sayyad Milne has been described as a "brave" and "kind" boy who had just turned 14.
Source: Supplied

Sayyad Milne dreamed of one day becoming a professional footballer and has been described as a "good-natured" and "kind" teenager.

The high school student was at the Al Noor mosque for Friday prayers when the attack began.

His grieving father John Milne described his son to local reporters through tears.

“I’ve lost my little boy, he’s just turned 14 ... I remember him as my baby who I nearly lost when he was born," he Milne said.

"He’s very brave. It’s so hard … to see him just gunned down by someone who didn’t care about anyone or anything. I know where he is. I know he’s at peace.”

"He was a loving and kind brother and will be greatly missed," added his sister Cahaya.

Ozair Kadir, 25

Ozair Kadir, 25
Source: Indian Social and Cultural Club, Christchurch (NZ)

Ozair Kadir was an aspiring pilot from Hyderabad, India.

He was one of five Indian nationals announced as deceased by the Indian High Commission to New Zealand on Sunday morning. According to the Indian Social and Cultural Club in Christchurch, he was an aviation student who wanted to become a commercial pilot.

Ansi Alibava, 25

Ansi Alibava, 25.
Source: Khaled Beydoun @KhaledBeydoun

Ansi Alibava was killed at the Masjid Al Noor mosque.

She had come to New Zealand from India to study a Masters of Agribusiness Management at Lincoln University.

Her husband condemned the "moment of anti-sentiment rage" that took her life, according to Stuff.co.nz.

"The life Ansi and I had together, the plans we made, the family we hoped to build here, all vanished," Abdul Nazer Ponnath Hamsa said.

A friend said she recently completed her degree and was awaiting her graduation ceremony.

Ramiz Vora and Asif Vora

Asif (L) and Ramiz (R) Vora.
Source: Spice World

The father and grandfather died following the Masjid Al Noor mosque attack.

Ramiz Vora was the father of a nine-year-old girl, whose grandfather was Asif Vora.

Ramiz's former workplace, Spice World, confirmed the deaths, according to Radio New Zealand.

Husna Ahmed, 45

Husna Ahmed, 45, was killed trying to protect her husband and after she helped children and women flee the shooting.
Source: Supplied

Mrs Ahmed was reportedly killed after rushing inside the mosque to check on her husband, who uses a wheelchair.

She was in the women's section of the mosque when she heard the gunfire. After reportedly helping some children escape, she went inside to protect her husband Farid Ahmed.

Farid Uddin Ahmed told SBS News his wife, Husna Ahmed was shot dead when she went inside the mosque to check on him.
Source: SBS News

Mr Ahmed told SBS News his wife died a hero.

"This missing is not just going to be for one day, it is going to be for the rest of my life," he said.

"But on the other hand I feel proud of her because she was courageous - she was in bad situation, she was trying to help some other ladies."

Hussein Moustafa, 70

In the 20 years he had lived in New Zealand, Hussein Moustafa had never missed Friday prayers.

His daughter Arwa Ahmed told SBS News she tried to contact him as soon as she heard the news, and even watched video of the attack in an attempt to find her father.

"We have been told by eye witnesses that my dad initially managed to escape, but when the shooting stopped, he re-entered the mosque to help the victims," she said.

"He died among some of his best friends. He was loving, kindhearted, and always strived to help others."

70-year-old Hussein Moustafa
Source: SBS News

Mohammed Imran Khan, 47

Mohammed Imran Khan, 47.
Source: Khaled Beydoun @KhaledBeydoun

Mohammed Imran Khan owned the Indian Grill restaurant in Christchurch.

He was one of eight killed at the second attack in the Linwood Mosque.

A handwritten sign outside his restaurant said the store was closed with a floral tribute nearby, according to the Associated Press.

Hussein Al-Umari, 35

Hussein Al-Umari, 35
Source: Janna Ezat

Hussein Al-Umari will be remembered for his bravery during the Christchurch mosque attacks.

Witness Ali Adeeb told UAE website The National how his friend heroically tried to stop the shooter and was "one of the only ones" who turned to face the gunman.

His mother Janna Ezat confirmed "with great sorrow" her son had died. 

"Our son was full of life and always put the needs of others in front of his," she posted on Facebook.

"We will miss you, in our hearts, you will always stay, loved and remembered, everyday."

His family moved to New Zealand from the UAE 22 years ago.

Daoud Nabi, 71

Daoud Nabi was killed in Friday's attack on Christchurch. His son said his father was a strong advocate for unity.
Source: Supplied

Mr Nabi had lived in Christchurch for more than 40 years, after escaping the Soviet-Afghan war in Afghanistan in 1977 and seeking asylum in New Zealand.

His son Omar confirmed his death and told Al-Jazeera his father had preached the importance of unity just days before the shooting.

"My father said how important it is to spread love and unity among each other, and protect every member of the society we live in," he said.

Naeem Rashid, 50, and Talha Rashid, 21

Naeem Rashid is being remembered as a hero. He is said to have tried to tackle the gunman after his son, Talha, was shot dead.
Source: Supplied

Naeem Rashid and his son Talha were both killed inside the Al Noor mosque. Naeem Rashid is seen on footage of the attack trying to tackle the gunman. He is being remembered as a hero.

"He was a brave person, and I've heard from a few people there, there were few witnesses. They've said he saved a few lives there by trying to stop that guy," his brother Khurshid Alam told the BBC.

Pakistan's Ministry of Public Affairs confirmed both their deaths in a tweet.

Naeem Rashid was a teacher in Christchurch and was from Abbottabad, Pakistan. Talha Rashid was 11 when his family moved to New Zealand. He reportedly had a new job and was set to get married.

Junaid Mortara, 35

Junaid Mortara owned a local convenience store which he inherited from his father and was a staple in the community. The 35-year-old has been remembered as a "gentle" man who supported his mother, wife and three young children.

Mr Mortara was killed in the attack on the Al Noor mosque. His store has been covered in flowers.

He was an avid cricket fan and loved the Canterbury cricket team.

Syed Areeb Ahmed, 27

The uncle of Syed Areeb Ahmed, a Pakistani citizen who was killed the Christchurch mosque shooting, shows a photo of the accountant.
Source: AP

Syed Areeb Ahmed had recently moved from Pakistan for a job in New Zealand, to support his family.

The Pakistani foreign ministry informed his family that Mr Ahmed was among those killed.

He has been described as a deeply religious man who valued education.

"He had done charted accountancy from Pakistan," said his uncle Muhammad Muzaffar Khan.

"He was the only son to his parents. He had only one younger sister ... He had only started his career, but the enemies took his life."

Other Pakistan nationals confirmed among the victims included Sohail ShahidMahmood Haroon and Jahandad Ali, according to the country's ministry. 

This photo shows a relative of Sohail Shahid mourning his loss in his native Pakistan:

[[{"fid":"1646732","view_mode":"body_content","uuid":"b9ba0caa-71a9-4406-9c91-fe7b97bda20e","type":"media","attributes":{"height":"506","width":"700","alt":"A relative weeps while showing the picture of Sohail Shahid, a Pakistani citizen who was killed in Christchurch mosque shootings.","title":"A relative weeps while showing the picture of Sohail Shahid, a Pakistani citizen who was killed in Christchurch mosque shootings.","class":"media-element file-body-content"}}]]

Mahmood Haroon, 40

Mahmood Haroon, 40.
Source: Amina Durrani

Mahmood Haroon's niece spoke with admiration about her uncle, who was among those killed at the Masjid Al Noor mosque. 

Amina Durrani said his family moved to Christchurch five years ago, so he could complete a PhD.

Within her tribute on Twitter, she said: "this world is unfair".  


Farhaj Ahsan, 30

Farhaj Ahsan had a wife and two young children. He was 30-year-old.
Source: Supplied

Farhaj Ahsan was a software engineer from Hyderabad, India. He moved to New Zealand six years ago.

He was married with a three-year-old daughter and infant son.

"We received the disturbing news," Mr Ahsan's father, Mohammed Sayeeduddin told the Mumbai Mirror.

Friends and family had been trying to reach Ahsan since the attack was first reported. He is believed to have been inside the mosque when the gunman entered.

Mojammel Hoq, 30

Mojammel Hoq, 30
Source: Javed Mustafa

A friend of Mojammel Hoq told Radio New Zealand he moved to Christchurch from Bangladesh a few years ago to study dentistry. Jahirul Islam said Mr Hoq died in the mosque attacks.

Mr Islam said his family would be "desperately seeking" to honour his body in line with Islamic burial customs.

Linda Armstrong, 65

Linda Armstrong, 65.
Source: Khaled Beydoun @KhaledBeydoun

Linda Armstrong died in the shootings at Linwood mosque. 

A friend spoke to The New Zealand Herald about her kindness following her death. 

"She was so happy. She was always excited to do a good deed," the friend said.

Her nephew Kyron Goose also posted on Facebook that Ms Armstrong had a "huge heart".

Ali Elmadani

Ali Elmandi was a retired electrical engineer who is said to have been a loving and caring father.
Source: Supplied

Mr Elmadani and his wife immigrated to New Zealand from the United Arab Emirates in 1998.

He worked in Christchurch as an electrical engineer and retired in recent years.

His daughter, Maha, told Stuff.co.nz that he always told his children to be strong and patient.

"He considered New Zealand home and never thought something like this would happen here," she said.

Khaled Mustafa

[[{"fid":"1646467","view_mode":"body_content","uuid":"6b087e13-70fc-40f0-9647-16502deca8c4","type":"media","attributes":{"height":"393","width":"700","alt":"Christchurch terror: who were the victims?","title":"Khaled Mustafa was married with three children. He arrived in NZ as a refugee in 2018. ","class":"media-element file-body-content"}}]]

Khaled Mustafa was a Syrian refugee who only arrived in New Zealand in 2018 with his family.

He was at the mosque with two of his three sons for Friday prayers.

The Syrian Solidarity New Zealand group told local media that his wife was "devastated and deeply horrified".

"Khaled Mustafa is a Syrian refugee who has come with his family (wife and three children) to NZ, which they thought was the safe haven," a spokesman said.

Hamza Mustafa, 16

Hamza Mustafa was in high school and had only recently moved to New Zealand as a refugee.
Source: Supplied

Khaled's son, Hamza Mustafa, was also killed in the attack.

His mother confirmed the deaths of both Hamza and Khaled. Hamza's brother Zaid was injured and is in hospital in a stable condition. 

Lilik Abdul Hamid

Lilik Abdul Hamid had two children and worked as an engineer with Air New Zealand for 16 years.
Source: Supplied

Lilik Abdul Hamid worked for Air New Zealand as an engineer. He had a young family, including two children.

Air New Zealand CEO Christopher Luxon confirmed Mr Hamid's death, saying in a statement the airline was devastated.

"The friendships he made at that time led him to apply for a role in Air New Zealand and make the move to Christchurch. His loss will be deeply felt by the team," Mr Luxon said.

"Lilik, his wife Nina and their children Zhania and Gerin are well known and loved by our close-knit team of engineers and their families, who are now doing all they can to support the family alongside our leadership team and the airline's special assistance team."

Atta Elayyan, 33

App designer and Futsal Whites' goalkeeper, Atta Elayyan, was murdered while he was praying.
Source: Supplied

Atta Elayyan was a goalkeeper for New Zealand's national futsal team. He represented Canterbury in club competitions.

He was shot dead while praying inside the mosque on Friday.

Mr Elayyan was an app designer and CEO of LazywormApps

Mohsen Al-Harbi

Ambulance staff take Mohsen Al-Harbi from outside a mosque in central Christchurch, New Zealand.
Source: AP

Mohsen Al-Harbi was seen being rushed to an ambulance with one finger pointing to the sky following the Christchurch mosque shootings.

His son Feras Al-Harbi confirmed the Saudi national died in hospital eight hours later.  

"My father lived a full life. It was a good life," Mr Al-Harbi told Arab News.

He had called New Zealand home for 25 years.

Osama Adnan, 37

Osama Adnan, 37
Source: Khaled Beydoun @KhaledBeydoun

Osama Adnan was in the process of applying for New Zealand citizenship before his death, according to The New Zealand Herald. 

The Palestinian had previously lived in Egypt. 

Amjad Hamid, 57

The doctor's family have told New Zealand media they fear he died in the attack.

The couple moved to New Zealand 23-years-ago, and had two sons, according to the BBC. Dr was a Hamid cardiorespiratory specialist. 

Foreign nationals killed

Two Jordanians were also among those killed, the country's Foreign Ministry said in a statement carried by the state-run Petra news service.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Sufian Qudah had earlier said that a Jordanian man was killed and eight others were wounded.


Leaders condemn Christchurch mosque shootings

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry said four Pakistanis were wounded, and spokesman Mohammad Faisal tweeted that five other Pakistani citizens are missing after Friday's attacks.

Malaysia said two of its citizens were hospitalised, and the Saudi Embassy in Wellington said two Saudis were wounded.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed at least three Turkish citizens were wounded in the attacks in New Zealand and that he has spoken to one of them.


Witness describes the shooting as it happened in a Christchurch mosque

Two Indonesians, a father and son, were also among those shot and wounded, Foreign Ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir said.

Nasir said the father is being treated at an intensive care unit and his son is in another ward at the same hospital. He declined to identify them.

The man's wife, Alta Marie, posted on Facebook that her husband and their son are both alive, but wounded.

Marie said that both were shot in the attack Friday at Christchurch's Linwood Islamic centre.

"My husband was shot in multiple places and has a drain in his lung," she wrote on Facebook. She said she was with her son, who is "traumatised" after being shot in his back and leg.


Police have urged survivors to update an online register with confirmation that they are alive and also if a loved one is missing. The New Zealand Red Cross published a list of missing people, representing nationalities including those from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Jordan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Published 16 March 2019 at 6:06am, updated 19 March 2019 at 10:04am
By Omar Dabbagh