Woman charged over blaze as fires continue to burn in NSW


A woman has been charged with lighting a fire that destroyed homes in northern NSW as residents battled multiple erratic bushfires overnight.

A 40-year-old woman will face court accused of lighting one of the bushfires in northern NSW, as fire crews battle two blazes that continue to burn out of control.

An emergency warning remains in place for a bushfire in Tingha, which has already burnt more than 12,000 hectors and reportedly destroyed at least six homes.

Hot temperatures and changing wind directions have challenged firefighters for more than two days, but senior forecaster Mohammed Nabi said conditions were expected to ease throughout the state on Thursday.

"Fire weather wise, we are looking at from today several benign days ahead," he said.

"Very cool, calm conditions ... the opposite of what a fire would want."

Fire crews spent Wednesday night battling that blaze along with erratic fires at Wallangarra and Tabulam, as the southerly change swept through the state along with cooler conditions.

A firefighter in Tingha said he had "never seen anything like this".

"My house was under threat today, but we soldiered on to come out and help everyone else try to save their houses," Brandon Livingmore said. 

As the fires burned on Wednesday night, a 40-year-old woman was charged for allegedly lighting rubbish on fire in a steel drum in her backyard near Tabulam in the state's north on Tuesday morning.

The blaze was allegedly left unattended in the hot weather and amid a total fire ban.

It quickly spread to bushland, incinerated almost 3000 hectares of land and forced the evacuation of the Jubullum Aboriginal area before destroying five houses.

The woman was charged with intentionally causing fire and being reckless to its spread during a total fire ban, and ordered to appear in Casino Local Court on February 27.

With Maani Truu

Stay up to date with SBS NEWS

  • App
  • Subscribe
  • Follow
  • Listen
  • Watch