Zero new local coronavirus cases in NSW as authorities issue more health alerts

However, one case on the northern end of Sydney's northern beaches was found after the cut-off time on Wednesday and will be reflected in tomorrow's numbers.

Deputy NSW Premier John Barilaro addresses the media during a press conference in Sydney

Deputy NSW Premier John Barilaro addresses the media during a press conference in Sydney Source: AAP

NSW recorded zero new locally-acquired cases of coronavirus in the 24 hours to 8pm on Wednesday, as authorities issue health alerts for two venues in popular holiday spots south of Sydney.

But one COVID-19 case was uncovered after the cut-off time: a person who lived on the northern end of the northern beaches, which remains under lockdown due to a 149-person COVID-19 cluster.

Health authorities on Wednesday issued COVID-19 casual-contact alerts for the Nostalgia Factor Shop in Kangaroo Valley and Taj Indian Restaurant in Huskisson on 27 December.


Participants in a cricket match at Ollie Webb Cricket Ground in Parramatta on 28 December, meanwhile, have been told to get tested and isolate for 14 days regardless of the result - an augmentation of prior orders.

An alert on Wednesday was also issued saying Murugan Temple in Mays Hill was visited by a COVID-positive case on New Year's Day.

NSW Health is updating its list of exposure sites across the state here.

The caseload to 8pm on Wednesday came from almost 28,000 tests. Six COVID-19 cases were uncovered in hotel quarantine.

NSW last recorded zero new local COVID-19 cases on Monday, which was the first zero-case tally in almost three weeks.

An 18-year-old man's regional NSW camping trip through the state's west earlier this week put several towns on high alert.

The man visited the western NSW towns of Orange, Nyngan and Broken Hill on his trip, with several venues in those towns subject to alerts.

The man attended the Berala BWS bottle shop on Christmas Eve, now the centre of the 16-strong Berala cluster in Sydney's west.

Authorities on Wednesday expanded the suburbs whose residents and workers are locked out of attending Sydney's Australia-India cricket Test from Thursday, adding Wentworthville and Belmore.

Those who go to the SCG need to wear a mask at all times except when eating and drinking, Health Minister Brad Hazzard said on Thursday.

Acting premier John Barilaro on Thursday also confirmed he would not stand in for holidaying Premier Gladys Berejiklian when National Cabinet convenes on Friday to discuss the contagious UK COVID-19 variant.

People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others. Check your jurisdiction's restrictions on gathering limits.

If you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, stay home and arrange a test by calling your doctor or contact the Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080. News and information is available in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus.

Please check the relevant guidelines for your state or territory: NSWVictoriaQueenslandWestern AustraliaSouth AustraliaNorthern TerritoryACTTasmania.


Share
Published 7 January 2021 at 11:42am
Source: AAP - SBS