• Della Roe breaks down speaking about the final hours of her daughter Julieka Dhu, who died in police custody in 2014. (NITV)Source: NITV
The mother of 22-year-old Julieka Dhu, whose death in custody is now the subject of a coronial inquest in WA, has spoken about the pain she felt watching footage of her daughter’s final hours.
Craig Quartermaine, Ella Archibald-Binge

14 Mar 2016 - 9:12 PM  UPDATED 14 Mar 2016 - 9:46 PM

The coronial inquest into Ms Dhu’s death in 2014 resumed in Perth this week, reopening old wounds for the Yamatji woman’s family.

Julieka’s mother, Della Roe, told NITV she was still struggling to cope after seeing footage last year of her daughter in her jail cell during her final moments.

Julieka Dhu's death in custody: What you need to know
A coronial inquest into the death of a 22-year-old Aboriginal woman who died in police custody resumes in Western Australia this week. Here’s what you need to know about the case so far.

“That’s the most hardest thing ever – watching your baby on CCTV coverage slowly dying in front of your eyes, crying out mummy, daddy,” she said.

“Was I supposed to jump inside that TV and try to help her?

"It's mentally disturbing.

“It’s a horrible feeling - slowly watching her die on CCTV… singing out for help, and no one helped her.”

The footage was aired during a two-week coronial inquest into Ms Dhu’s death late last year.

Watch: Tears and anger as coronial inquest resumes

Policeman admits: 'I though she was faking it'

The inquest resumed today, hearing from a policeman who admitted he thought Ms Dhu was faking illness before her death.

The Western Australian woman died in August 2014, while being held in police custody for unpaid parking fines.

She had complained she was feeling unwell, and was discharged from the Hedland Health Campus twice while in custody.

Constable Callan George, the lock-up keeper in charge of cell checks during Ms Dhu’s detainment, told the inquest he formed the view that the 22-year-old was faking it.

In CCTV footage played to the court, Const George was heard speaking after Ms Dhu’s second hospital visit: “Paracetamol? Paracetamol? After all that?”.

Ms Dhu died during her third visit in as many days to the Hedland Health Campus from staphylococcal septicaemia and pneumonia, following an infection in her fractured ribs that spread to her lungs.

The inquest will run from March 14-24.

Poverty stricken women in WA have no alternative but jail to work off fines
Is WA criminalising poverty? That's the question being raised as the inquest into Julieka Dhu's death in custody resumes in Perth.