A Coroner's Court has heard there is no apparent connection between the bashing of an Aboriginal prisoner and his death in jail months later.
Laura Morelli

28 Jul 2016 - 1:03 PM  UPDATED 28 Jul 2016 - 1:09 PM

Steven Freeman was found dead in his cell at the Alexander Maconochie Centre in May, with no answers to the exact cause of his death, leaving family, friends and members of the ACT Indigenous community distraught.

The 25-year-old was situated in the centre on charges of drink driving and possessing an offensive weapon.

"Despite protests for Freeman to not be returned to jail after he was nearly beaten to death, the Government said prison would be the 'safest place' for him... A year later, he was found dead in his cell."

A year prior to his death, Freeman was nearly beaten to death, which saw him left in an induced coma for a week.

Following his hospitalisation, members of Canberra's Aboriginal community had pushed for Freeman to not be returned to the jail, arguing his safety would be compromised. Despite protests from family and friends, the Government said the prison would be the “safest place” for him.

A year later, he was found dead in his cell.

Death in custody prompts independent inquiry
The death in custody of an Aboriginal man last Friday has spurred an independent inquiry.

The inquiry comes as Indigenous leaders and the Federal Opposition demand the Prime Minister's royal commission into abuse at a juvenile detention centre in the Northern Territory be given a wider scope

The ACT's Coroner said he couldn't "see the connection" between Mr Freeman's bashing and his later death but that it may become more relevant during the inquest into his passing.

The focus will be on matters such as the treatment of opioid dependence, the prescribing of methadone, admission policies and procedures when an inmate is opioid dependent, an investigation of supervision requirements and a review of CPR policies.

An autopsy report and other documents have not been made public.

 "It is my intention throughout this inquest ... to do the very best we can to answer the questions and concerns and establish the cause of the death of Mr Freeman."

Freeman's friends and family, including his mother, Narelle King, were in court, where Coroner Cook told them that he would do his best to establish the exact cause of death.

"I cannot guarantee I will find the answers to all your concerns and questions," he said. "It is my intention throughout this inquest ... to do the very best we can to answer the questions and concerns and establish the cause of the death of Mr Freeman."

The matter will return to court briefly in September before the hearing begins on the 5th December.

‘This is forever business’: Investigator reflects on deaths in custody inquiry
In the late 1980s, Richard Frankland’s job was to investigate the deaths of Aboriginal people who had died in police custody. 25 years after the investigation delivered its findings, he reflects on the pain, grief, anger and love he unearthed.
Royal commission into deaths in custody 25th anniversary: What's changed?
April marks 25 years since a royal commission presented a formula to prevent Aboriginal deaths in police custody. But how much has changed?
The Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody: timeline of events and aftermath
Twenty-five years after the findings of the Royal Commission into Deaths in Custody were handed down, there are still calls for most of the recommendations to be implemented. Learn more about the origins and timeline of the Royal Commission here.