The newly appointed Northern Territory Minister for Aboriginal Affairs has criticised the Federal Government after official evaluations of the revamped remote work-for-the-dole programme were released.
Nunggubuyu woman Selena Uibo took on the portfolio after the NT government reshuffle on January 31.
In a letter sent to Mr Morrison this week, she called for the Community Development Programme (CDP) to be immediately shut down.
Ms Uibo wrote that it was “having a devastating impact on remote communities and Aboriginal people in the Northern Territory.”
A report released by the Prime Minister’s Office last week has revealed the Community Development Programme has improved employment outcomes by only one per cent.
There was also evidence that skyrocketing penalties is contributing to worsening mental health, family violence and petty crime by children seeking food.
Ms Uibo also publicly called for the program to end in an address to the Legislative Assembly in Darwin on Tuesday.
“I urge the Prime Minister to scrap this disgraceful program and provide a clear and fair program,” she said.
“Starving out our people is a huge concern and something we will not stand for."
Lara Watson, an Indigenous officer from Australian Council of Trade Unions, says the report from the Prime Minister’s Office shows that the CDP has failed.
“People in remote and regional communities have a right to be paid fairly for their work and to have the same protections as every other worker in Australia,” Ms Watson said.
“You’re twice as likely to have your income slashed than you are to get a job if you ’re forced into this discriminatory scheme.
“The coalition are the only major party clinging to this failed program. It must be abolished and replaced with a solution that provides genuine paid employment,” she said.
The Prime Minister's Office has been contacted for comment by NITV News.