A shortbread recipe using what Mark Olive considers to be one of the most underutilized native ingredients.
210g Plain flour
1/2 cup Caster sugar
1/2 cup Blanched almonds
3/4 cup Icing sugar
2tsp Ground lemon myrtle
Bowl - mixing
Glass Bowls (ingredients)
Chopping Board (for flour)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and press together with fingers until crumbly.
- On a floured surface turn out the ingredients and knead to form a dough.
- Line a tray with baking paper and roll the dough out into small balls. Press with a fork so they are about 1cm thick.
- Place the tray in the fridge and chill for an hour.
- Place tray in cold oven, turn the oven on to 180 degrees.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes then transfer to wire rack