In 2014, the Department of Family and Community services and New South Wales Police raided a home to remove a large number of children from one family.
These images provided to NITV News show police dressed in riot gear enter a home at around 6.30am. The parents were asleep.
Abbott Sidesteps Questions on Moree Incident
17 September 2014
NITV News Political Correspondent Myles Morgan is traveling with the Prime Minister for Indigenous Affairs, Tony Abbott. Today - he took the opportunity to ask Mr Abbott about the Moree incident and the use of helmeted OSG officers in the removal of children.
The Prime Minister chose to sidestep the questions and instead said that anything that gets kids to school - including fear of the police - is a good thing. Here's their exchange earlier today.
Malarndirri McCarthy: Dad of removed children speaks - Part 2
17 September 2014
While police dispute the family's version of events - in particular relating to the use of firearms - the father told Malarndirri McCarthy in an in-depth interview with him recently that he is yet to receive an explanation for the removal and that he wants an apology for the trauma inflicted on his family.
NSW Minister Gabrielle Upton responds to NITV News' questions about the method of removing children from family
17 September 2014
NITV News has again contacted the Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) and requested an interview with NSW Minister Gabrielle Upton in relation to the method used to remove children from a family in Moree in January.
We supplied a list of questions to the minister.
We asked if she would consider an apology and a review of the process and procedures of the removal of these children.
We asked if FACS is providing any ongoing counselling to the children and the family - and whether the minister would answer claims that mother of the children was naked when detained in handcuffs.
None of our questions related to the use of firearms, claims made by the Greens, nor the use of the Tactical Response Unit.
We received this written statement from Minister Gabrielle Upton:
"I am extremely disappointed at the inaccurate claims surrounding the removal of children in Moree earlier this year.
Police and Department of Family and Community Services staff have told us no guns were drawn and that Police and FACS staff acted professionally at all times.
The version of events offered by the Greens MLC David Shoebridge is inaccurate.
At no time was the Tactical Response Unit involved."
NSW Police deny guns were drawn on Moree family while Greens and Labor call for investigation
16 September 2014
The New South Wales Police have moved to clarify the details of an operation in which officers assisted Family and Community Services in the removal of children from a family in Moree in January.
The NSW Police have rejected claims by the family that they entered the house with weapons in hand and insist that - despite wearing helmets - the officers were not dressed in riot gear.
While police and the family disagree over the details of the operation - both the Greens and the Labor opposition are calling for an investigation.
Police insist that these officers should not be described as "riot police" but questions continue to be asked about the impression created by the use of helmeted officers in military style uniforms - in this type of operation.
Grandmother calls for moratorium on use of police in removing Aboriginal children from their family
16 September 2014
The Grandmothers Against Removals group has called for a moratorium on the use of police in the removal of Aboriginal children from their families.
Natalie Ahmat speaks to Aunty Hazel earlier this afternoon and asks about her response to the video.
The father of the removed children talks to NITV News' Malarndirri McCarthy
15 September 2014
On Friday, NITV news aired exclusive footage featuring police in riot gear assisting the Department of Family and Community Services in the removal of "at risk" Aboriginal children from a home in Moree in January.
The video - captured on a mobile phone by a family member - captures the moments leading up to a dawn raid by police and FACS, and clearly shows police in dark overalls and helmets entering the property in the early hours of the morning. The parents claim to have been wakened at gunpoint and handcuffed while the children were removed.
New South Wales Police has confirmed the raid occurred and that one individual was handcuffed - but said no charges were laid.
The children were placed in temporary foster care for almost 6-months before being returned to their parents.
Family members say that the children remain deeply traumatised as a result of the raid. Tonight - the father of the children speaks to Malarndirri McCarthy and says that no one from the NSW Department of Families and Children or the NSW Police has explained to their family why the children were taken in such a way.
NSW Police deny removing Aboriginal children at gunpoint
12 September 2014
The New South Wales Police Force has denied using guns during a raid in which eight Aboriginal children were removed from a family home earlier this year.
The New South Wales Police Force has rejected claims a forced removal of multiple Aboriginal children was carried out at gunpoint.
Footage of the raid, which aired in an exclusive report by NITV News, showed police in riot gear entering the NSW home about 6.30am to remove the children earlier this year.
The footage has sparked outrage around the country, with many questioning the police's heavy-handed approach.
But in a statement to NITV, a spokesperson for the NSW Police said officers acted professionally in executing the warrant.
"Eight children aged between 1 and 13, who had been identified as being at risk, were removed from a home…by FACS," the statement read.
"Police attended to prevent any breach of the peace or public order incident.
"Police acted professionally at all times. No guns were drawn, nor were any charges laid and no person was prevented from leaving the reserve."
(Click the link above to watch the video and read the full story)
Dad tells NITV News: Police in riot gear forcibly remove his children
This is National Child Protection week, promoting awareness and understanding of the importance of primary prevention to reduce child abuse and neglect in Australia. Last year, over 35,000 Australian kids were proven to have been abused or neglected.
NITV News takes a closer look at the process in which children are often removed.
In one instance this year, the Department of Family and Community services and New South Wales Police raided a home to remove a large number of children from the one family.
These images provided to NITV News show police dressed in riot gear enter a home at around six-thirty in the morning. The parents were asleep.
They have told NITV News they awoke to find guns pointed at them and then they were handcuffed by police as the children were removed. In the house next door. It has been claimed that the children's aunt and grandfather were also handcuffed and detained by police.
New South Wales Police have confirmed the raid occurred - but say no charges were laid.
The children were removed for well over five months and placed in foster care, but are now back with their family.