• The current Don Dale youth detention centre. (AAP)
The Northern Territory juvenile justice royal commission has heard Don Dale Staff were untrained to deal with emergency situations.
Source:
AAP
22 Mar 2017 - 4:18 PM  UPDATED 22 Mar 2017 - 4:18 PM

A former Don Dale Youth Detention Centre guard says the security climate was "spiralling out of control" in the lead up to an incident where boys were tear-gassed.

Ex Youth Justice Officer Leonard De Souza told the Northern Territory juvenile justice royal commission that Don Dale was struggling with overcrowding, increased lock-downs, dismal training and staff shortages. He said new guards only received three days of training in assault responses and never learnt skills in suicide prevention, cultural awareness or dealing with emergency situations.

Mr De Souza found this "grossly inadequate", but when the training officer refused to approve other guards to work, a senior manager told him it was "not a good career move".

"I felt pressured and bullied to do it," he said on Wednesday. Mr De Souza described Don Dale as a "happy go lucky" place between 2007 and 2009, where guards ran activities like gardening, painting, music, cooking and carpentry.

"The kids were a lot more settled in those early years because their time was more managed," he said. But the programs collapsed when Michael Yaxley became Acting Operations Manager  around 2010, Mr De Souza explained.

He said isolation cells were rarely used before then and only in extreme cases of violence.

"They were not intended to be used for managing behaviour. However, as time went on, the cells were used more often for this purpose," he said.

The detainee population soon spiked and staff shortages meant kids had to be locked in their cells for long periods, which increased tension among detainees.

Mr De Souza said at one point there was a ratio of up to 30 inmates to one staff member.

He complained about rising assaults on staff and warned his superiors that a lack of training could lead to a riot, but his concerns were dismissed. Guards had duress alarms, but they often didn't work properly, which further undermined their confidence while on shift, he said.

MORE ON DON DALE
Teens win civil case against NT Government over Don Dale treatment
BREAKING: Four teenagers have won a civil case brought against the NT Government over their treatment while in Don Dale youth detention centre.
Former Don Dale staffer instructed detainee to eat faeces on camera, then posted film to social media
A series of videos shown at today’s Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory appears to show certain staff were routinely involved in inappropriate behaviour with detainees.

After a riot on Christmas 2011, former corrections commissioner Ken Middlebrook approved the renaming of isolation cells as the Behavioural Management Unit, which Mr De Souza said was designed to bypass laws which set maximum isolation times.

Around 2013, Mr De Souza was distressed to learn inmates were being escorted out of Don Dale to attend a mixed martial arts gym.

"I couldn't believe we were teaching these kids mixed martial arts at the same time we were trying to de-escalate violence at the centre," Mr De Souza said.

In August 2014, six teens were teargassed, spithooded and shackled after one inmate escaped his solitary confinement cell and began trashing an exercise yard.

The youth had been held in isolation for 17 days straight, for up to 23 hours per day.

A number of staff hadn't completed training in the use of spithoods, and Mr De Souza said there was no policy on the use of restraint chairs.

The Darwin hearing continues.

MORE ON THE ROYAL COMMISSION
Royal Commission: Guard defends use of spithoods
NT youth detention guard defends spithoods.
'He grabbed me by the throat and choked me up against the wall,' NT royal commission hears
A young offender has told the NT juvenile justice royal commission in Alice Springs today he was choked, intimidated and assaulted by youth prison guards who regularly took their anger out on kids.
Response to Don Dale failings inadequate, NT royal commission hears.
The man who wrote a scathing report into the Northern Territory's corrections system earlier this year, has told the royal commission past failings are set to be repeated, as official response to criticism and recommendations has been disappointing.