Youth Justice Advocate Dylan Voller has been released and given a $435 fine in Alice Springs, after being arrested in what was said to be a peaceful protest to end deaths in custody and shut youth prisons.
By
Claudianna Blanco, Madeline Hayman-Reber

Source:
NITV News
29 Sep 2017 - 4:12 PM  UPDATED 29 Sep 2017 - 7:32 PM

UPDATE:

At 6:50pm AEST on Friday, Dylan Voller told NITV News that he and seven others have been released and issued with a $435 fine for disorderly behaviour.

Northern Territory Police have issued the following statement:

Northern Territory Police have apprehended eight people aged between 14 and 47 after they obstructed traffic on the Stuart Highway today.

The obstruction of traffic was outside an arranged organised protest in Alice Springs and put motorists and pedestrians at risk. 

Enquiries are ongoing and it is expected that the offenders will be released today pending being served with infringement notices for obstructing traffic and disorderly conduct. 

Youths will be considered for diversion as appropriate. 

Police will review footage of the incident and take action as appropriate.

Earlier...

A Northern Territory Police spokesperson told NITV News that while they couldn’t comment on an arrest, they could confirm he had been taken into cells.

Via a Facebook Live video from his cell, Mr Voller himself confirmed he has been placed in the Alice Springs Watch House, apparently with his mobile phone.

“I was arrested during the protest for black deaths in custody. I guess it was a mistake, I didn’t want to get arrested but it happened at the end of the day. Justice for everyone has been done wrong,” Mr Voller said in his Facebook Live video.

“I’m in the watch-house and still have my phone and I guess I want to apologise to anyone if I’ve let anyone down. They still haven’t realized I’ve got my phone yet.”

During the Facebook Live broadcast, Mr Voller also said he had allegedly been defending his mother when the incident occurred.

"They haven’t even told me that I’m under arrest yet, they just chucked me in the paddy wagon and brought me to the watch-house," he said.

“When we got out they (officers) said [we'd been detained] for disorderly behaviour.”

Mr Voller’s sister Kira also took to Facebook to criticize the way the situation was handled.

“Sick of my family being targeted😡 The police had one job today to serve and protect usually by way of redirecting traffic not tackling people and screaming in people's faces to MOVE NOW and pushing them off the road,” she said in a public post on her page.

News of Dylan's arrest spread quickly through social media, as many protesters took to their phones to film the way in which NT Police approached the demonstration in Alice Springs. 

Some of the videos circulating show people at the rally seemingly protesting peacefully, when NT Police arrive carrying what appears to be pepper spray canisters.  

The rally is one of many organised across the country today to protest deaths in custody and youth incarceration. Protests have also been organised internationally, in Vancouver and Dublin.

#BREAKING: Peaceful #ShutYouthPrisons march turns violent when police aggressively slam Dylan Voller and others to the ground in Mparntwe pic.twitter.com/KAwaLIqPdY

— Ed (@edinthewater) September 29, 2017

RELATED ARTICLES
Dylan Voller ‘shocked’ to discover his confidential files were in cabinets for sale dumped at Alice Springs tip
Files containing the confidential information of 33 clients were discovered up for sale at the Alice Springs recycling centre following a ‘messy’ refurbishment of Territory Families offices in April.
Dylan Voller's sentence suspended
A Northern Territory court has decided to suspend Dylan Voller's sentence. His ankle bracelet and curfew have been removed.
Dylan Voller: Life outside after a decade behind bars
EXCLUSIVE: In the last year, Dylan Voller’s name has been splashed over newspapers both nationally and internationally; the image of him strapped to a restraint chair and hooded has been etched onto screens worldwide.