Federal Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion announced the Commonwealth government would release a "fully funded" response to the final report by the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory in the "very near future".
Late last year the Royal Commission handed down its findings, recommending a complete overhaul of the youth justice system and demanding the immediate closure of Darwin’s Don Dale detention centre.
Minister Scullion noted there would be ramifications for youth justice systems across the country during a visit to the Northern Territory on Tuesday.
"I will be ensuring that every other jurisdiction has some sort of a response," he said.
The minister confirmed all states will need to make changes in "everything from the training of guards to the level of amenities" inside juvenile jails.
Footage of teenagers being tear-gassed, spit-hooded and shackled to restraint chairs in NT youth prisons sparked the $54 million-investigation last year and prompted NT Labor to inject millions of dollars to overhaul the broken system.
The NT government also announced it would close Don Dale, but it's still unclear if the Commonwealth will help pay for its replacement.
A stoush continues between the Territory and Commonwealth governments following an unmatched $50 million pledge to build new Don Dale and Alice Springs detention facilities.
Federal Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion argues the report urged administrations to spend money more effectively, not just throw extra cash at the problem.
"But the Northern Territory government says, 'I've got $50 million, where's yours?' because it was about politics, just petty politics," he said on Tuesday.
"Don Dale has always been the responsibility of the Northern Territory."
By late February the Gunner government will deliver proposed plans for new infrastructure, with work set to begin within 18 months.