The land council boss says the girl had “done nothing wrong” and suggested that police actions should be scrutinised.
Liz Deep-Jones

12 Jan 2019 - 7:27 AM  UPDATED 12 Jan 2019 - 5:17 PM

The Aboriginal Land Council of Tasmania has claimed that a 13-year-old girl was wrongfully arrested and detained overnight for breaching a “non-existent” curfew.

Tasmania Police arrested her on Wednesday evening not far from her home in Hobart.

The girl was taken to Hobart Remand Centre where her family claim she was stripped and given other clothes to wear.

She was released the following morning without charge.

Police said they followed “all legislative and procedural protocols” and acted on information about bail conditions supplied by the magistrates court.

Michael Mansell, the land council chairman, said the family are seeking legal advice on the matter.

“I'm told by the grandparents who saw the girl in custody that the police had stripped her of all her clothes – she wasn't told why – and put in a robe,” he told NITV.

“The girl was very upset, obviously traumatised by it.”

He insisted that the girl had “done nothing wrong, broken no law, broken no rules, [and] had not broken any court orders” and suggested that police actions should be scrutinised.

"It  is a legitimate question as to why the police did not take the child to her home address which was only a couple of kilometres away from where they picked her up and a lot closer to the parents place than it was to go to the remand centre,” Mr Mansell said.

Man charged over incident in Perth supermarket
A Perth man has been charged over manhandling a nine-year old Aboriginal boy and locking him in a supermarket store-room.
'A day of sadness': Councils plan Australia Day date change ahead of January 26
A handful of councils will change their Australia Day celebrations from January 26.
Family 'in the dark' after mentally-ill Aboriginal man shot, then later charged by police
The family of a mentally-ill Aboriginal man, shot by police in Far North Queensland after allegedly threatening officers with a knife, is seeking answers after the man is charged with several offences.