NITV's new cooking series On Country Kitchen mixes Indigenous culture, Western Australian produce and mouth-watering recipes.
2 medium Abalone
50 g Butter
50 mls Lemon aspen syrup
1/2 Lemon (juiced)
1/2 Lime (juiced)
30 mls Fish sauce
50mls Sweet soy
Bowl - mixing
Glass Bowls (ingredients)
Saucepan (with lid)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Clean the abalone and cover with a damp cloth. Beat the abalone with a rolling pin to soften.
- Slice thinly like scalloped chips. Place in bowl and add lemon aspen syrup to coat the abalone.
- In a fry pan on low heat add butter, fish sauce, sweet soy, and citrus juice. Bring up the heat and add the abalone.
- Cook quickly, for just a minute.
- Serve on a bed of mixed lettuce, cherry tomatoes and julienned red capsicum with a few capers and a lemon wedge to spritz.