I’ve always been fascinated by astronomy and I recently got a really cool app which lets you see all the stars, constellations & planets. The sky even moves around as you move your phone around – it’s very high-tech! Aside from finding a constellation named Cassiopeia (Handy, it was fan-group week this week!), I also found a star named Spica (the brightest star in the constellation Virgo).
Asian Pop is certainly full of stars – heh heh..
I first took notice of SPICA not because of a song or a music video, but from Korean dating-variety show The Romantic and Idol which featured 8 idols and the beautiful, romantic setting of Jeju Island. Member Jiwon was one of the idols and constantly had her feelings played by BTOB’s Minhyuk whom I still have bitter feelings for to this day. >:|
I describe SPICA as the ‘Avengers’ of girl groups as each member has had success before assembling for their debut in 2012:
- Leader Boa (not to be confused K-Pop Queen Kwon Boa) was the vocal trainer for K-Pop groups KARA, Rainbow and Infinite;
- Vocalist/Rapper Juhyun featured in Heo Young Saeng’s ‘Let It Go’ MV and live performances;
- Vocalist Narae was a contestant on the first season of Superstar K;
- Vocalist Jiwon almost debuted as a member of Five Girls alongside After School’s Uee, Secret’s Hyosung, Wonder Girls’ Yubin and soloist G.Na; and was an original member of pre-debut T-ara; and
- Maknae Vocalist Bohyung was a former JYP and YG trainee and is rumoured to have almost debuted as part of 2NE1.
All this prior experience only meant that they were more than capable from the beginning. Since their debut with the track ‘Potently’, SPICA have always displayed great vocals, strong charisma and an ability to stand out among the many idol groups today. Despite this, they don’t quite get the recognition they deserve and are, in my opinion, one of the most underrated groups in K-Pop today.
With undoubtable talent and undying support of fellow labelmate and K-Pop royalty, Lee Hyori, the future looks good for these bright stars.
What do you think guys?