Only in Japan:
- A ational cat day since 1987 – held on the 22nd of February (22/2 = 222 = ninini = nyan nyan nyan: the sound cats make)
- Cats are so much loved in Japan there is a whole economy – nekonomics (neko is “cat” in Japanese)
- Cat cafes – different demographic than typical cat cafes in other countries.
- “neko danchi” – concept describing a single, young male who owns a cat
- Famous cats in Japan
- Cat video game Neko Atsume
- Womens’ magazine had a special cat edition and sold out immediately
- Cat island – was low on cat food and tweeted for help from people to send food – got so many donations that they had to tweet again saying they had no more room in storage
Hit the audio tab above ^ to listen
How to listen
SBS PopAsia is streaming live 24/7 on digital radio. Catch Eat Your Kimchi's radio show at 8pm (AEST) every Monday.
- Listen live on tablet or mobile via the SBS PopAsia app.
- Listen on your computer via the SBS PopAsia homepage.
- Listen on DAB digital radio