He's short, has a bad attitude and is full of menacing rage; Wolverine is known to every geek as the blue-and-yellow spandex wearing animal that, in his prime, rolled with the X-Men and hated Cyclops.
To others, he is a tall and strikingly handsome Australian actor known as Hugh Jackman, an all round nice guy and amazing onscreen performer, who portrays one of the coolest characters in the Marvel Universe flawlessly.
With Logan killing it at the box office right now, it's common knowledge (at this point) that Hugh Jackman won't be stepping into the dirty singlet and denim jeans again any time soon.
After portraying Wolverine for 17 years now, Jackman has decided to hang up his boots and retract his claws for the sake of moving on in his career. He'll be chasing new horizons without overdoing his time as the clawed character.
So, the big question left hanging is - what comes next??
We have a chat about this on this week's episode of Split Screen:
The only thing right now that needs to happen is a full reboot of the X-MEN, or to finally create the X-Force with our new Wolverine showing up in Deadpool 2 as a teaser.
Erase those other movies (you know the ones I'm talking about) out of existence and start fresh.
Here's a formula:
- Recast the entire team - make sure you cast with a long future in mind.
- Also make sure they're good actors.
- Pick the coolest stories (the 90’s animated series has many cool ones).
- Get the costumes right.
- Don't get yourselves confused with timelines, or stupidly kill off characters, or merge Jubilee and Rogue into one character ever again.
- Cast the new Wolverine.
- Make sure it isn't a crappy actor.
- Have him debut/pop up in Deadpool 2.
- Hint at X-Force.
- Make sure it's not bad like Suicide Squad/other X-MEN movies were.
Check out this week's list where I pick five story-lines that could easily become successful X-Men movies if done correctly.
For more geekly chat tune in to Split Screen: A Geek Podcast weekly!
- Listen live on tablet or mobile via the SBS PopAsia app (iOS or Android).
- Listen via Wooshkaa
- Listen via SoundCloud
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Download the app here: