There is quite a bit of anticipation building up for TWICE's upcoming comeback, but some netizens have voice their issues with the similarities between the girls' new concept and EXO's superpower concept.
For those who are unaware, TWICE's new single "Signal" takes on a new superpower concept; Jungyeon and Nayeon can control time, Dahyun can duplicate herself, Sana can turn invisible, Jihyo has X-ray vision, Mina can hypnotise others, Tzuyu has superhuman strength, and Momo has superspeed.
Upon the reveal of "Signal," some netizens have claimed that TWICE's new concept is very similar to EXO's debut concept, which also revolved around superpowers.
In regards to TWICE and EXO's concepts, some netizens were critical of the similarities:
- "Why is JYP doing this.."
- "EXO fans have the right to be upset"
- "I'm not a fan of both groups but you know you automatically think of EXO when you think supernatural powers..."
- "Wtf, please stop copying their supernatural power concept"
- "We need feedback from JYP."
Having said that, some netizens think that both groups have tackled the superpower concept in their own unique ways:
- "I don't think this is worthy of controversy. Their style doesn't really overlap"
- "It's not like EXO created the supernatural concept. I don't understand what the big problem is"
- "I don't see the issue at all. EXO are not real aliens or really have supernatural powers, and they're not the creators of the concept so... Is there a reason why other groups can't do this? People are overreacting."
What do you think about EXO and TWICE's take on the superpower concept?
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: