Since there generally two or more singers in a K-pop group, it can be hard for one member to really stand out. For some K-pop fans, this brought up quite an interesting question - who are K-pop's underrated vocalists?
In an interesting new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion about which vocalist is criminally underrated in the K-pop scene. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some of the vocalists that K-pop fans think deserve more of the spotlight:
- Key is super underrated because SM tends to make him sing in that high pitched tone so that he can keep up with the rest of the group who have pretty strong vocal abilities, but in reality his voice is much deeper and super smooth may I add. It very sounds easy on the ear.
- Gonna have to say Youngjae and Yugyeom in GOT7.
- In 2ne1 minzy was the most underrated member overall. she was the better singer and dancer of the group and she was a nice rapper, too. it sucks to know that she was the least favorite in 2ne1.
- In SNSD, I feel like Sooyoung is pretty underrated, too. out of the non-vocalists, she's by far the best one of the bunch.
- In f(x) amber is super underrated and some people say that her vocal technique comes close to krystal's. i don't like amber's singing voice but the technique is what matters.
- Hani. Her voice isn't usually impressive in EXID's title tracks but when she gets a solo track - omg. Her voice is lower and very sultry sounding.
- Definitely Suho! EXO has so many great vocalists so I feel he tends to get overshadowed, but I love his voice. His SM station track Curtain is great, and his part in Promise is a personal favorite of mine.
- Jongup for B.A.P.
- Chaeyoung of twice comes to mind. Though she was a vocalist turned rapper, many people seem to forget the vocalist part.
- Coming in hot with some BTS Taehyung appreciation. his voice is deeper so he doesn't get to sing in his range often. but when he does it's amazing. thankfully he gets to showcase it in a few of their songs for example. however even when he's not singing in his true lower range, his voice is still beautiful.
I also gotta mention Jeongyeon. i love her voice the most in twice, it really packs a punch and gives their songs a nice kick at the end. and her parts in TT and melting gets me every single time.
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: