Unless you're in Korea, hearing K-pop in public is still a bit of an uncommon thing. Having said that, there are times where K-pop have popped up in the most unexpected of places for some fans!
In a new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion about the most unexpected place where they've heard K-pop. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some of the most unexpected places that fans have heard K-pop:
- SNSDs "Visual Dreams" playing in a Sephora store in Orléans, France. It's not even one of their famous songs lol?
- Getting into my Uber in the morning one day for work. This is the middle of the very deep south of the US mind you where modern country reigns supreme, and when i get in my driver is blasting SHINee's Lucifer. Very shocked for a moment, but had a fun conversation on the way to work that morning.
- Try not to smile and laugh challenge. It was Apink NoNoNo
- CBS liked using the drop from 4Minute's "Hate" when going to commercial during NFL games.
- I was at a french restaurant around christmas time and they were playing TTS - Dear Santa. My friends were wondering why I was excited over a christmas song.
I was in a mall in Ontario a couple weeks ago (definitely not near any asian neigbourhoods) looking for dresses we went into Suzy Shier and they were playing 4 Walls by F(x).
Definitely unexpected I was with a friend who isn't into Kpop I heard the beginning and was like there's an english version of this song, before realizing nope it was definitely in Korean.
Bar Bar Bar by Crayon Pop in Selfie with John Cho and Karen Gillan (rip to a great show)
Juliette by SHINee in a Coach store
My dad's car
Where was the most unexpected place you've heard K-pop, PopAsians?
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: