Aside from the slate of new music coming out each week in K-pop, one of the awesome things about the genre are the brilliant covers of other songs performed by K-pop artists.
In an interesting new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion about which K-pop covers that they liked better than the original song. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some of K-pop covers that fans liked more than the original song:
- Lucky Strike by Dreamcatcher (Originally by Maroon 5)
- Not exactly a cover, but SHINee's Juliette is a redo of a Corbin Bleu song, Deal With It, which was a surprise for me. SHINee's vocals fit much better with the music, even if they do keep calling Juliette a h*e.
- Red velvet's cover/remake of be natural. original by s.e.s
Zion.t's cover of Park Jiyoon's Coming Of Age Ceremony (AKA the OG sexy concept song) is such an original spin on that classic. I love it.
I also love watching Exo's cover of The Beatles' All My Loving because of all the silly wigs.
- Sunggyu's cover of Nell's Time Walking on Memories. It suits his voice so much better and it's such an nice song to begin with. Sunggyu's gives it just the edge it needs. Also Winner's cover of 2NE1's Missing You.
- A.C.E. covering Playing With Fire (BlackPink) is my top cover.
- Jonghyun's cover of EXO's Playboy, though to be fair he did write the song.
- I'm probably going to be downvoted for the rest of my life for this - but I prefer Pristin's version of Catch Me If You Can.
Tell us your must-listen song covers from your favourite K-pop artists!
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: