It's super-difficult to get off the K-pop train once you get on, and it all starts with one particular artist or group!
In an interesting new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion about which artist and/or group got them interested in K-pop. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are of the artists that got fans interested in K-pop:
- For me, it was Big Bang. Around 2010, I listened to Tell Me Goodbye (yes, I know it's in Japanese, not Korean), and I just fell in love.
- SNSD. My mom used to watch this Chinese dating show in which Gee was played pretty frequently for some reason, so I ended up hearing it a lot.
- AOA. Was watching SKT vs Najin and they showed an AOA dance practice between games. I was hooked after that.
- The first one I saw was f(x) but I didn't explore anything else for a long time until I saw EXO and slowly but surely they dragged me down the rabbit hole.
- It was 2PM for me. :)
- AOA and Blackpink. Blackpink was the first group that really got me into kpop. Their debut song blew me away.
Tell us who go you onto the K-pop train, PopAsians!
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: