The role of the a maknae in a K-pop group is to be cute, do a lot of aegyo, and just have attention showered upon them by the other members since they're the youngest. However, there are some maknaes who don't quite conform to the usual maknae norm!
In an interesting new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion about which maknaes who don't look or act like one. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some maknaes in K-pop who certainly don't act/look like one!
- First one that comes to mind for me is Wooseok from Pentagon. I've been on a Pentagon marathon since Like This dropped and I looovvee that Wooseok is so tall that you wouldn't expect him to be the maknae of the group! Especially when all the members look tiny compared to him.
- Hwasa =)
- Yeri acts like the maknae most in the aegyo way but she also is the queen of savage. She literally had Seulgi acting as her servant in the reality show
- Seohyun from Girls' Generation. She acts more like the leader and the unnies act more like the maknae. Lol
- Vixx's Hyuk certainly looked like the maknae when they debuted, but since then....he's gotten bigger, and stronger, and now bullies the hyung he used to fear.
- When IOI was still a thing, defo Somi
- Monsta X's maknae I.M/Changkyun. He's been called the oldest youngest or something like that.. xD Mostly cause of his looks. But he sucks at aegyo too...
- WJSN's Dayoung acts like the mom. She's no longer the maknae because Yeonjung joined, but she doesn't act like the maknae either.
- TWICE tzuyu obviously. she's like the oldest sister there just after jeongyeon lol
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: