Sometimes there are K-pop songs that get released to universal acclaim, while others get the complete opposite reaction. However, there are the occasion tunes that sharply divide listeners into the "we love it" camp and the "we hate it" camp.
In an interesting new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion over which songs were surprisingly polarising amongst listeners. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some K-pop songs that were surprisingly polarising amongst fans:
- I think one would be Red Velvet's Rookie, where early on it was quite polarizing among fans but it ended up becoming hugely successful.
Power was an odd one for me. Seemed like an fun easy listen that I thought would have been hard not to like, but for some reason it ended up polarizing. In any case, I prefer it to Sweet Lies which stole its thunder and got all the praise.
I Got Love is another. One of the best songs on My Voice but it wasn't for everyone.
- People seemed to not like it at all but I'm still jamming to Weki Meki's "I Don't Like Your Girlfriend."
- I'm always surprised how EXID's "Hot Pink" continues to get flack from i-fans (can't speak for K-fans because I don't know how they felt other than the music show wins which is more a reflection on LEGGOs than the public; I only know for sure that SHINee's Jonghyun was down and I hate I can't link the video ;_;). It's one of the notoriously disjointed songs, but I like those (if they make sense of course).
- Gfriend - Fingertip. The fact that Korea especially wasn't a fan of it and it made them drop fans, and now their company is backpedaling away from it and going hard back towards the pure side is crazy to me. Fingertip is by leaps and bounds their best song.
- wow! by lovelyz. it was the first song by lovelyz that i actually liked (since then that's changed though). i tried destiny but wasn't vibing with it at the time, but i listened to wow! and fell in love with it instantly. when i realized that quite a few people didn't like it i was so shocked.
- blackpink - as if it's your last. i needed to listen to it several times to warm up to it so i can't say i absolutely loved it from the start, but i don't really get why many people still dislike it or say the chorus doesn't fit in (and i also can't remember why i first didn't like it as much as as i do now).
- idk if it's polarizing but the majority of people seem to dislike Fighter from Monsta X's The Clan pt 2, but like...it was a total jam for me. Yeah its different from what they normally do but I adored the rockish/cinematic vibes that I got from it. It sounded super epic so I was surprised when most people tended to be meh on it.
Which K-pop songs were quite polarising for you, PopAsians?
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: