There are countless things about K-pop that drive fans absolutely wild with glee, but as it is with almost everything in the world, one person's favourite thing may be another's most hated thing.
In an interesting new thread over on Reddit, K-pop fans got into a fascinating discussion about things K-pop idols do that they can't stand. With Reddit being the home to a large number of fans who have diverse tastes and interests, the answers were certainly very interesting.
Here are some things that idols do that K-pop fans REALLY dislike:
- lmao I came in here expecting random quirks that would be difficult to notice but you opened with "I dislike when idols look dead inside" well ok me too I guess
- When they like Chris Brown.
- when members/groups play up the 'fanservice'/'girl crush' vibe and basically gay bait because they know it will get them more attention. a certain amount of skinship is totally normal in korea and im fine with that (especially for members that have spent years and years together) but there are definitely groups (im mostly talking about girl groups bc i dont follow boy groups) that are really forcing the girl x girl interactions and certain pairings because of the recent trend and as a gay woman it just seems so baity and forced it bothers me. i much prefer members being comfortable with eachother rather than playing up fanservice and making themselves/their friendships uncomfortable.
When it came to exploring new gen girl groups this was one of the things that appealed to me most about Red Velvet. Other than the regular holding hands/linking arms skinship, from what I've seen I've never seen them playing up fanservice for the sake of appealing to the fans like many other groups. Pretty sure I saw Irene punch Joy once for attempting to kiss her.
Speaking of new gen girl groups, also a massive reason why I could never get into Mamamoo.
- When certain people are on variety shows and way over the top extra, loud and just all-around too much and seem like they're trying way too hard. There are certain idols I just get really angry watching on variety.
- I really dislike when they do the baby voice. It really puts me off. But that's me.
This really isn't a trait but more of a trend but I don't like it when the lower lid is extra puffy and then they put red or pink eye shadow all the way around the eye. Like, maybe it's just me but it looks like pink eye to me.
Too much aegyo. Some idols are just naturally adorable and for others it feels like they HAVE to be cute because they're the maknae or labeled the most youthful looking one.
CONSTANT LIP BITING, WINKS OR KISSY FACES. Ravi, I'm looking at you.
Though that last one makes me laugh most of the time.
- I'm not a fan of over the top, excessive aegyo. Like, cool it with the finger hearts.
- Lip swipes from boy group members, I cringe every time.
- My boyfriend recently pointed out the epidemic that we have deemed "the butt dance"- this is when female idols stand in a line and hold/pat each others' butts. Notable examples off the top of my head: Chungha's "Why Don't You Know" and Weki Meki's "I Don't Like Your Girlfriend".
- Dislike the beagle over the top style of variety some idols like to boast. There's ususally at least one member in most groups like this. Or in extreme cases like MMM where its all of them and its kinda become their variety schitick.
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: