Ever since 2NE1 disbanded last year, Black Pink have remained YG Entertainment's sole girl group for the past 12 or so months. However, this is about to change when YG CEO Yang Hyun Suk recently announced that the company will launch a new girl group in 2018.
After reports of YG's upcoming new girl group started coming out, fans weren't too happy at the news and took to the online forums and Nate comment threads to share their thoughts. Here are some of the comments made by fans regarding the news of YG's upcoming new girl group:
- New songs only come out of Teddy... so groups just have to wait group by group for Teddy to finish writing his songs for them. That's YG's biggest problem... that they're too dependent on Teddy. Without Teddy, YG is going to crumble instantly.
- People still believe YG? They'll say the debut is next year but it could also be in 5-6 years ㅋ
At first, I liked that YG was experimental... but after a while, they haven't advanced in any aspect from promotions to song quality. They're so reliant on the system that was successful for them in the past that they can't seem to give it up and are stuck in that era. Black Pink's songs honestly sound like I'm listening to 2NE1! YG needs to start moving forward, and I'm saying this as a fan of their artists.
- After 2NE1 disbanded, I really thought YG would focus everything on Black Pink... so this is quite unexpected
- If you actually go back and read the articles before Black Pink's debut, YG has always said they were planning on releasing two girl groups. Black Pink debuted first and the second group has just been delayed until now ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
- Let's be real, Black Pink isn't turning any real profit for YG. Their Korean fandom is tiny so they aren't able to put out as many albums. They barely sold 50,000 copies in Japan and the extras are being sold off in Thailand. The public isn't in love with them or anything so they don't have many CF deals. They're completely reliant on the free YouTube views that their Thai fans get them and maybe some income from digital sales that they're only achieving because they're under Big Bang and YG. Big Bang is off to the army, iKON and Winner aren't doing as well as YG had hoped, Yang Hyun Suk is desperate for money right now and has probably realized that Black Pink isn't the cash cow he needs ㅋㅋ
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: