The second of three events for the 2017 Mnet Asian Music Awards took place last night in Japan, where several artists took home some big awards, such as TWICE winning the Song of the Year (Daesang) and SEVENTEEN winning Best Male Group Performance. However, there are fans who weren't too happy at the results of the Japan MAMAs.
After all the winners of the Japan 2017 MAMAs were announced, fans had complaints over the final results and claim that there are deserving artists who didn't receive any recognition. Some are demanding feedback over the results of certain categories, such as PRISTIN's win over Kim Chungha for Best New Female Artist despite Chungha having 26.6 million fan votes compared to PRISTIN's 19.8 million fan votes.
- "More than anything, it was so wrong to give the rookie award to Pristin instead of Chungha who had way higher votes and charted better digitally ㅋㅋㅋ it's not like Chungha didn't attend, she was right there and yet the award went to Pristin, who flopped completely on the charts ㅋㅋㅋ"
- " Why didn't Chungha win the rookie award?"
SEVENTEEN's win for Best Male Group Dance Performance came under scrutiny from certain fandoms, with some unconvinced over the results due to the group's 2.2 million fan votes compared to EXO and BTS' tally of 36.6 million and 30.5 million fan votes respectively.
TWICE's Song of the Year (Daesang) win for "Signal" also drew the attention of fans, with some claiming how was it possible for the girls to win the award when they had only 1% of the fan votes compared to EXO and BTS' 37.5% and 35.3% of the fan votes.
- "Twice was #10 in votes though ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ"
- "Twice wins daesang..? I don't know about that"
- " 'Signal' winning daesang???? Weird... surely you mean popularity award"
And finally, fans weren't too happy at the lack of awards recognition for G-Dragon and IU, both of whom had had great success on the charts as well as a greater amount of fan votes compared to the other nominees.
With all this frustration from fans towards the Japan 2017 MAMAs results, some are demanding that the votes be re-evaluated and an explanation be provided by MAMA as to how the winners were chosen, with the hashtag #재검토요청_마마 (#reevulationrequest_MAMA) trending worldwide following the event.
Hear us on SBS PopAsia Digital Radio
Listen in 24/7 on Digital Radio, by downloading our free mobile app or by streaming live here on our website.
Download the app here: