To its detriment the 2015 contest was littered with ballads and fortunately 2016 sees very few entries of the same ilk. This plays to Israeli Hovi Star’s advantage with this quieter entry really standing out from the pack.
“Made of Stars” is a contemporary ballad both beautiful and haunting; a piano-heavy alternative to last year’s hedonistic “Golden Boy” which will light up the Stockholm’s Globen Arena with mobile phone torches. Hovi Star has a significant profile in Israel and this contest will do well to raise his profile and showcase his stunning voice to a wider international audience.
A worthy Grand Finalist should he find his way out of the stars and one which could give our Ms Im a serious run for her money.
Watch Hovi Star's official video for 'Made of Stars':
Four Questions with Hovi Star
What are the three most interesting aspects about your entry?
- The song was arranged 4 times before its final version. It was very important for me and my team that people will relate to the song, so we changed it, again and again, until we felt like it got the perfect treatment.
- When I first heard this song, I thought it would be weird for me to sing a song called Made of Stars, since there would be too many stars in one sentence! Now I understand that the title fits me perfectly and I wouldn't change it for the world!
- In the finals of the show to select the Israeli singer, this song was performed twice: once by me and once by my runner up. She's an amazing singer and if you’d like to hear a female version of it, go on YouTube and search for it, it's great!
What are the three most impressive facts about you?
- I'm a really good hair stylist.
- I'm really good at imitating people.
- I can write a song about anything in this world and make it sound like a hit.
Do you have a (lucky) routine before you go on stage?
Whenever I go on stage, I always take some time for myself, standing for three minutes with my eyes shut, breathe, concentrate and then I'm ready to conquer the stage!
Why is the Eurovision Song Contest important for you?
It’s been my lifelong dream to perform on the huge stage. When I was six years old, I remember myself standing on our living room table and performing the Eurovision songs for my mum. After finding out I’ll be the one representing Israel, I couldn't stop crying with excitement for a whole day. I think it’s a huge milestone for an upcoming artist like me, and additionally, I get to represent my country, where I grew up and which I love! I couldn't hope for anything more amazing.