Iceland is arguably the nation most equally deserving of winning the contest alongside Portugal. Iceland debuted in the contest in 1986 and has entered songs in 27 contests since finishing runner-up twice. This year Iceland will bid for the crown with a teenager (on trend) from Northern Iceland singing an anthemic ballad (also on trend). What starts as a bit too cutesy 'Unbroken' cleverly morphs into a solid pop song which will benefit from some Frozen style staging. Catchy and sing-a-long, this is one of the stronger songs in Semi Final 2 but is it solid enough to claim Iceland a much sought after win?
Spoiler: Watch Iceland's Semi Final 2 performance below
4 Questions with Maria
What are three interesting aspects about your entry?
- This is a catchy song which I really like and I hope Eurovision Song Contest fans will like it.
- The message of the song is important to me.
- This is my first song to be released publicly, and it is a great honor to be able to perform it for so many people.
What are the three most impressive facts about you?
- I was relatively unknown as a singer before I entered the Icelandic Söngvakeppni Song Contest and now everything is happening for me.
- I was born in a small town of less than 1,000 inhabitants in Northern Iceland.
- Acting and singing is something I have always done, and I started acting on stage when a was ten years old.
Do you have a (lucky) routine before you go on stage?
Not really. I‘m a shy person and therefore I just try to concentrate on what I'm going to be doing by closing my eyes and blocking everything that is happening around me.
Why is the Eurovision Song Contest important for you?
First of all I have always loved the Eurovision Song Contest and I‘m a big fan of the Contest. Secondly I think this is a good opportunity to present myself and do what I love doing.