Download the FREE SBS Radio App for a better listening experience
2019 SBS National Languages Competition
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Competition: 2019 SBS National Languages Competition.
Promoter: Special Broadcasting Service Corporation (ABN 91 314 398 574) (SBS) of 14 Herbert Street, Artarmon NSW 2064. Phone: 1800 500 727.
Entry Restrictions: The Competition is open to Australian residents only, aged 4 and over. Employees of the Promoter, the Prize Supplier(s) and associated companies and their immediate families are ineligible.
All entrants under the age of 18 must obtain permission from their parent or guardian before entering the Competition.
Competition Period: Commences: 9:00 AEST on 26.08.2019.
Closes: 17:00 AEST on 27.09.2019.
Maximum Number of Entries: One entry per person.
By entering this competition the entrant is acknowledging that they approve of and grant all rights necessary to the Promoter to enable the Promoter to share and use the content in any way and in any media (including sharing on social media) and that all participants (and where necessary their parent or guardian) are aware and approve of this use.
How to enter:
During the Competition Period, entrants must go to sbs.com.au/nlc19 and follow the directions to complete the online entry form.
- Entrants must register their details, including (but not limited to) name, age, and email.
- Entrants aged 4 – 7 years old and 8 – 12 years old must upload a drawing and include a caption of up to 30 words written in the language you are entering. You will also need to include an English translation answering the following question: “How does learning a language make a world of difference to you?” Please note that the English translation not included in the word count.
- Entrants aged 13 – 15 years old, 16 – 18 years old and 18+ must upload written answer in the language you are learning as well as an English translation (not required for English learners) in up to 100 words: “How does learning a language make a world of difference to you?” Please note that the English translation not included in the word count.
For all entrants under the age of 18 –
- Be entering the competition, entrants under the age of 18 years are confirming they have obtained parental or guardian permission to enter.
- Entrants under the age of 18 will be asked to confirm that they have their parent or guardian’s consent to enter the competition and to provide their parent or guardian’s name and contact number at the point of entry.
- Confirmation of consent may be requested by the Promoter at any time.
One Major Prize winner in each age category (5 winners in total) will each receive:
- An Apple iPad Pro 12.9 inch 128GB (valued up to $1,757.90) for themselves.
- Apple AirPods with wireless charging case (valued up to $320.00) for themselves.
- Prizes will be awarded at a ceremony in Sydney at the SBS Headquarters in Artarmon on Friday 8th November, 2019.
- Each Age Category Prize winner will receive return economy airfares from their nearest Australian state or territory capital city to Sydney. Return economy airfares will be provided for the Prize winner plus their travel companion (valued up to $800 per person) and one night’s accommodation (Twin share minimum 3 star rating).
- Each winner will receive 2 x Unlimited Rides Pass to Sydney’s Luna Park (valued up to $480 total for the 5 winners) for the prize winner and their travel companion.
- Each winner will receive 1 x engraved winner’s trophy (valued up to $550 in total).
The total prize pool is valued up to $21,164.50 (RRP).
Travel Prize Conditions:
- Winners under the age of 18 must be accompanied by their parent or guardian (who must be over the age of 18). Where the travel companion is not the Prize winners’ parent or guardian, they must have the permission of the parent or guardian to act as a travel companion.
- The winners and their travel companion will not accrue any frequent flyer points from taking the prize.
- Travel must be used to attend the award ceremony at the SBS Headquarters in Artarmon on Friday 8 November, 2019. If travel has not been redeemed within this time period, tickets shall be deemed null and void.
- The Prize must be booked through SBS prior to Monday 28th October, 2019. Bookings are subject to availability and are not re-routable. Once booked and approved by the Prize Supplier, any changes may incur a cancellation fee or amendment fee at the cost of the winner. Once tickets have been issued they cannot be changed.
- Neither SBS or Prize Supplier/s or their associated companies will be held liable for any loss, damage or injure of the results directly or indirectly from the winner taking part in any aspect of the prize. Where relevant, the winner agrees that they take full responsibility for any activities engaged in while travelling and engaging in the prize package and will take our appropriate travel insurance.
- Prize winners are responsible for all costs not expressly listed as being included in the Prize, including without limitation, meals, entertainment, other travel and accommodation, transfers, passports, visas, re-entry permits, spending money, freights, excess baggage, government taxes, departure taxes, ground transportation any tax liabilities, airport charges, any applicable surcharges and any other related costs. Travel insurance is highly recommended to protect against the additional costs incurred in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
- Travel arrangements to and from the winner’s nearest capital city airport do not form part of the prize and are the responsibility of the winner.
- The prize winner and their travelling companion must travel on the same flight as each other to their destination.
- It is the responsibility of the winner to enquire about local issues and conditions at destinations before travel.
- One Prize Winner will be selected from each age category with a total of Five (5) Prize Winners.
- The Promoter will judge all valid entries based on their uniqueness and creativity. For category A and B we will consider both the drawing and caption together. For category C, D and E the full written text will be considered.
- Caption and text entries must be written in language as well as an English translation (not required for English learners)
- If the entry does not meet the required criteria or in any manner promotes content that is disrespectful, we may choose to disqualify the entry
- Have responded to the question via drawing showing us or written telling us “How does learning a language make a world of difference to you?”, as well as how creative they are with their in-language caption.
- The entry must also include a written caption in the language you are learning as well as an English translation (English translation is not required for English learners).
- The entry judged by the Promoter as the most creative and unique in each age category will win a Prize.
- The decision is at the sole discretion of the Promoter.
Entries will be judged according to five (5) age categories:
a) Junior Primary (Aged 4 – 7)
b) Primary (Aged 8 – 12)
c) Junior High School (Aged 13 – 15)
d) Senior High School (Aged 16 – 18)
e) Open Category (18+)
Prize Winner Notification:
The Winner(s) will be notified by email and phone on Monday 21st October at 16:00.
Winners parents/guardians will be notified on Monday 21st October at 16:00 by email or phone for those who are under the age of Eighteen (18).
Second Chance Draw and notification:
If a Winner cannot be contacted by 16:00 and Monday 21st October, 2019 the Promoter or its nominated agent will select another winner from all valid entries. Second Chance Draw winners will be notified by email and phone on Wednesday 23rd October and published on the SBS website on Friday 25th October, 2019.
General Terms and Conditions
- Entry into the Competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions. Information relating to the Competition and the above Schedule form part of the terms and conditions for the Competition. The Promoter may vary these terms and conditions from time to time at its sole discretion, subject to approval of the relevant state authorities.
- Eligibility to enter the Competition is subject to the Entry Restrictions above.
- To enter the Competition, entrants must complete the process outlined in the Entry Details during the Competition Period. Any entry received outside of the Competition Period will be deemed invalid.
- Entrants may enter the Competition up to the Maximum Number of Entries. Each entry must be submitted separately and meet the eligibility requirements.
- Incomprehensible and incomplete entries will be deemed invalid. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost, delayed or misdirected entries.
- The Promoter reserves the right to request proof of identity, proof of Australian residency status at the nominated Prize delivery address and proof of entry validity, in order to claim a Prize. Acceptance of proof of eligibility is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that an entrant cannot provide proof, their entry will be deemed invalid.
- All valid entries are automatically entered into the Winner Selection process, which will take place at the times and dates set out in the Schedule, including any specified Second Chance Draw.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be notified in accordance with the Winner Notification details in the Schedule.
- All Prizes are as depicted or described in the Schedule and, unless otherwise specified, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash. The Promoter is not responsible for any additional costs associated with use of the Prize.
- If a Prize is date specific, the Winner must be available to redeem the Prize on the date/s specified in the Schedule. If the Winner is not able to redeem the Prize on the specified date/s, the Promoter may determine another Winner in its absolute discretion.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any loss, damages, or injury incurred to enter the Competition or in connection with taking up the Prizes.
- Once Prizes have left the Prize Supplier’s premises, no responsibility is taken for Prizes damaged, delayed or lost in transit.
- Prize values are based upon the recommended retail prices at the time of printing (inclusive of GST). The Promoter accepts no responsibility for change in Prize value between now and the ultimate Prize redemption date.
- All Prizes are subject to availability. In the event that any of the Prizes or part of a Prize becomes unavailable due to circumstances beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control, the Promoter reserves the right to provide a similar prize to the same or greater value as the original prize, subject to state regulations.
- If the Prize involves tickets to an event or travel, the Promoter is not responsible for any change in times or dates, cancellations or rescheduling of events that may prevent the Prize Winner from redeeming the Prize or any part of it.
- It is a condition of accepting the Prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the Prize and the Prize supplier’s requirements.
- Travel portions of a Prize may be subject to blackout dates and travel periods as specified in the Schedule. If travel has not been redeemed within this time period, tickets shall be deemed null and void.
- Rewards program points cannot be accrued when taking up the Prize.
- Bookings are subject to availability and are not re-routable. Once booked and approved by the Prize supplier, any changes may incur a cancellation fee or amendment fee at the cost of the winner. Once tickets have been issued they cannot be changed.
- Neither the Promoter nor the Prize Supplier/s or their associated companies will be held liable for any loss, damage or injury that results directly or indirectly from the Winner taking part in any aspect of the Prize. Where relevant, the Winner agrees that they take full responsibility for any activities engaged in while travelling and engaging in the Prize package and will take out appropriate travel insurance.
- The Winner and their travelling companion are responsible for any visa requirements associated with the Prize. In the event that the Winner or their companion are unable to obtain appropriate visas, the Promoter takes no responsibility for the Prize winner’s or their companion's inability to take the Prize.
- Winners are responsible for all costs not expressly listed as being included in the Prize, including without limitation, meals, entertainment, other travel and accommodation, incidentals, gratuities, services charges, optional extras, transfers, passports, visas, re-entry permits, spending money, freights, excess baggage, government taxes, departure taxes, ground transportation any tax liabilities, airport charges, any applicable surcharges and any other related costs. Unless otherwise specified in the Schedule, travel insurance is not included in the Prize and will be the responsibility of the winner(s). Travel insurance is highly recommended to protect against the additional costs incurred in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
- If a Prize includes accommodation, it is a condition of accepting the Prize that the Winner may be requested to present their credit card or a cash deposit upon arrival at any accommodation to cover all ancillary costs they may incur during their stay. For the avoidance of doubt, the Winner acknowledges that the accommodation part of the Prize includes room charges only and no ancillary costs such as room service.
- Travel arrangements to and from the Winner’s departure city airport do not form part of the Prize and are the responsibility of the Winner.
- The Winner and their travelling companion must travel together on the same dates and to and from the same destination.
- All travel will be subject to the general conditions of carriage. The Promoter and Prize Supplier make no representations as to the safety, conditions or other issues that may exist at any destination. It is the responsibility of the Winner to enquire about local issues and conditions at destinations before travel.
- Neither the Promoter nor the Prize supplier or their associated companies is responsible, to the extent permitted by law, for acts of god, acts of terrorism or war (declared or undeclared) or other events beyond the Promoter and the Prize supplier's control which prevent awarding or acceptance of the Prize in accordance with the Prize description.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant submitting an entry which, in the Promoter’s opinion, includes objectionable content.
- This Competition is a game of skill and chance will play no part in determining the Winner. Each entry will be individually judged, based upon literary and creative merit.
- All entries must be the original independent creation of the entrant and free of any claims that they infringe any third party rights. Entries must not have been published previously and/or have been used to win prizes in any other competitions.
- The Promoter takes no liability for any tax issues which may arise from accepting a Prize in this Competition. Consult an independent tax adviser if this is a concern.
- Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal or permanent injury or loss of life; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
- The Promoter and the Prize Supplier/s assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction or unauthorised access to, or alterations of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available. If for any reason this Competition is not capable of running as planned, due to causes including, but not limited to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupt or affect the administrative security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Competition, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion, to take any action that may be available to the fullest extent permitted by law, including to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition. Subject to state regulations.
- All entries become and remain the property of the Promoter.
- Entrants consent to their full names and/or their entries being used in all media by the Promoter. Entrants acknowledge and agree they may be required to participate in promotional activities while taking up the Prize.
- The Promoter may use entrants' names and details for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes. The Promoter may also be required to disclose your personal information to its contractors, agents, co-promoter and to state and territory gaming departments to assist in conducting the Competition.
- Any entrant found to be using multiple social media accounts to enter the Competition may be disqualified at SBS’s sole discretion.
- Entrants acknowledge this Competition is in no way associated with or sponsored or endorsed by Facebook. Any information disclosed by entrants entering this Competition is not provided to Facebook. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding this Competition must be directed to the Promoter and not to Facebook.