National Languages Competition 2017 - terms and conditions
NATIONAL LANGUAGES COMPETITION 2017
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Competition: National Languages Competition 2017 (Competition)
Promoter/Prize Supplier: Special Broadcasting Service Corporation (ABN 91 314 398 574) (SBS) of 14 Herbert Street, Artarmon NSW 2064. Phone: 1800 500 727.
1. The Competition is open only to Australian residents who are students at any primary or secondary school in Australia learning a language other than English and aged between 4 and 18 years of age at the time of entry.
2. Employees of the Promoter, the Prize Supplier(s) and associated companies and their immediate families are ineligible.
3. Entrants cannot be a child of any person included in (ii) above.
4. All entrants must obtain permission from their parent or guardian before entering the Competition.
5. The Video must not be longer than 30 seconds. Entries that are over 30 seconds will only be judged up to the 30 second mark of the Video
6. The Video must feature only the Entrant
7. Entrants must only submit a video they have taken themselves or for which they have received permission to submit directly from the person who took the Video.
Commences: 9:00 AEST/ADST on 24/07/17.
Closes: 23:59 AEST/ADST on 01/09/2017.
Maximum Number of Entries
One entry per person.
How to Enter
1. During the Competition Period, entrants must go to sbs.com.au/NLC17 and follow the directions to complete the online entry form.
2. Entrants must register their details, including (but not limited to) age, name, address, phone number and school.
3. Entrants must upload a video (the Video) that complies with all the conditions set out below, and English translation of the video script, answering the question “What learning a language means to me”.
1. One Prize winner in each age category (4 winners in total) will each receive the following;
2. Each winner will receive an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 128GB (valued up to $1,490 each).
3. Each winner will also win for their school an iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi only 128GB (valued up to $599 each).
4. Prizes will be awarded at a ceremony in Sydney at the SBS Headquarters in Artarmon on Monday, 09 October.
5. Prize winners in each category (4 winners in total) and an accompanying guardian aged over 18 years, will be offered a trip to Sydney to receive their Prize at a ceremony in Sydney.
6. Each Prize winner will receive return economy airfares from their nearest Australian state or territory capital city to Sydney. Return economy airfares will be provided for the Prize winner plus their travel companion (valued up to $800 per person) and one night’s accommodation (twin share minimum 3 star rating).
7. Each winner will receive 1 x Adult and 1 x Child Unlimited Rides Pass to Sydney’s Luna Park (valued up to $104 total).
8. For the avoidance of doubt, where a Prize winner resides in New South Wales, flights and accommodation will not be provided.
9. The total prize pool will be valued at up to $15,208.00 (RRP) inclusive of GST.
Travel Prize Conditions
1. Travel must be used to attend the award ceremony at the SBS Headquarters in Artarmon on Monday, 09 October 2017. If travel has not been redeemed within this time period, tickets shall be deemed null and void.
2. Travel companion must be over the age of 18 years. Where the travel companion is not the Prize winners’ parent or guardian, they must have the permission of the parent or guardian to act as a travel companion.
3. The winners and their travel companion will not accrue any frequent flyer points from taking the Prize.
4. The Prize must be booked through SBS prior to Friday, 22 September by 1730 (AEST). Bookings are subject to availability and are not re-routable. Once booked and approved by the Prize Supplier, any changes may incur a cancellation fee or amendment fee at the cost of the winner. Once tickets have been issued they cannot be changed.
5. Neither SBS nor Prize Supplier/s or their associated companies will be held liable for any loss, damage or injury of the results directly or indirectly from the winner taking part in any aspect of the prize. Where relevant, the winner agrees that they take full responsibility for any activities engaged in while travelling and engaging in the prize package and will take out appropriate travel insurance.
6. Prize winners are responsible for all costs not expressly listed as being included in the Prize, including without limitation, meals, entertainment, other travel and accommodation, transfers, passports, visas, re-entry permits, spending money, freights, excess baggage, government taxes, departure taxes, ground transportation any tax liabilities, airport charges, any applicable surcharges and any other related costs. Travel insurance is not included in the prize and will be the responsibility of the winner(s). Travel insurance is highly recommended to protect against the additional costs incurred in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
7. Travel arrangements to and from the winner’s nearest capital city airport do not form part of the prize and are the responsibility of the winner.
8. The prize winner and their travelling companion must travel on the same flight as each other to their destination.
9. It is the responsibility of the winner to enquire about local issues and conditions at destinations before travel.
1. One (1) Prize Winner will be selected from each age category with a total of Four (4) Prize Winners.
2. The Promoter will judge the Video entries based on how creatively the entrants have responded to the question “What learning a language means to me”
3. The video entry judged the most creative in each age category will win a Prize.
4. The decision is at the sole discretion of the Promoter.
5. Entries will be judged according to four (4) age categories:
a) Junior Primary (Aged 4 – 7)
b) Primary (Aged 8 – 12)
c) Junior High School (Aged 13 – 15)
d) Senior High School (Aged 16 – 18)
6. A panel selected by the Promoter will judge all valid entries and the Winners will be selected on Friday 8th September 2017 at 1700 (AEST) at 14 Herbert Street, Artarmon, NSW.
Prize Winner Notification
1. Prize Winners will be notified by email and phone on Monday 11th September 2017.
2. Winners’ names will also be published on the SBS website on Monday 18th September 2017.
3. Second Chance Draw and notification:
If a Winner cannot be contacted by Thursday 14th September, the Promoter or its nominated agent will select another winner from all valid entries. Second Chance Draw winners will be notified by email and phone on Thursday 14th September and published on the SBS website on Monday 18th September 2017.
General Terms and Conditions
1. Entry into the Competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions. Information relating to the Competition and the above Schedule form part of the terms and conditions for the Competition. The Promoter may vary these terms and conditions from time to time at its sole discretion, subject to approval of the relevant state authorities.
2. Eligibility to enter the Competition is subject to the Entry Restrictions above.
3. To enter the Competition, entrants must complete the process outlined in the Entry Details during the Competition Period. Any entry received outside of the Competition Period will be deemed invalid.
4. Entrants may enter the Competition up to the Maximum Number of Entries. Each entry must be submitted separately and meet the eligibility requirements.
5. Incomprehensible and incomplete entries will be deemed invalid. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost, delayed or misdirected entries.
6. The Promoter reserves the right to request proof of identity, proof of Australian residency status at the nominated Prize delivery address and proof of entry validity, in order to claim a Prize. Acceptance of proof of eligibility is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that an entrant cannot provide proof, their entry will be deemed invalid.
7. All valid entries are automatically entered into the Prize Winner Selection process, which will take place at the times and dates set out in the Schedule, including any specified Second Chance Draw.
8. The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. Prize Winners will be notified in accordance with the Prize Winner Notification details in the Schedule.
10. All Prizes are as depicted or described in the Schedule and, unless otherwise specified, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash. The Promoter is not responsible for any additional costs associated with use of the Prize.
11. If a Prize is date specific, the Winner must be available to redeem the Prize on the date/s specified in the Schedule. If the Winner is not able to redeem the Prize on the specified date/s, the Promoter may determine another Winner in its absolute discretion.
12. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any loss, damages, or injury incurred to enter the Competition or in connection with taking up the Prizes.
13. Once Prizes have left the Prize Supplier’s premises, no responsibility is taken for Prizes damaged, delayed or lost in transit.
14. Prize values are based upon the recommended retail prices at the time of printing (inclusive of GST). The Promoter accepts no responsibility for change in Prize value between now and the ultimate Prize redemption date.
15. All Prizes are subject to availability. In the event that any of the Prizes or part of a Prize becomes unavailable due to circumstances beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control, the Promoter reserves the right to provide a similar prize to the same or greater value as the original prize, subject to state regulations.
16. If the Prize involves tickets to an event or travel, the Promoter is not responsible for any change in times or dates, cancellations or rescheduling of events that may prevent the Prize Winner from redeeming the Prize or any part of it.
17. It is a condition of accepting the Prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the Prize and the Prize Supplier’s requirements.
18. Travel portions of a Prize may be subject to blackout dates and travel periods as specified in the Schedule. If travel has not been redeemed within this time period, tickets shall be deemed null and void.
19. Neither the Promoter nor the Prize Supplier/s or their associated companies will be held liable for any loss, damage or injury that results directly or indirectly from the Winner taking part in any aspect of the Prize. Where relevant, the Winner agrees that they take full responsibility for any activities engaged in while travelling and engaging in the Prize package and will take out appropriate travel insurance.
20. If a Prize includes accommodation, it is a condition of accepting the Prize that the Winner may be requested to present their credit card or a cash deposit upon arrival at any accommodation to cover all ancillary costs they may incur during their stay. For the avoidance of doubt, the Winner acknowledges that the accommodation part of the Prize includes room charges only and no ancillary costs such as room service.
21. Travel arrangements to and from the Winner’s departure city airport do not form part of the Prize and are the responsibility of the Winner.
22. All travel will be subject to the general conditions of carriage. The Promoter and Prize Supplier make no representations as to the safety, conditions or other issues that may exist at any destination. It is the responsibility of the Winner to inquire about local issues and conditions at destinations before travel.
23. Neither the Promoter nor the Prize Supplier or their associated companies is responsible, to the extent permitted by law, for acts of god, acts of terrorism or war (declared or undeclared) or other events beyond the Promoter and the Prize Supplier's control which prevent awarding or acceptance of the Prize in accordance with the Prize description.
24. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant submitting an entry which, in the Promoter’s opinion, includes objectionable content.
25. This Competition is a game of skill and chance will play no part in determining the Winner. Each entry will be individually judged, based upon literary and creative merit.
26. All entries must be the original independent creation of the entrant and free of any claims that they infringe any third party rights. Entries must not have been published previously and/or have been used to win prizes in any other competitions.
27. Entrant agrees that by entering this competition he/she is granting the Promoter (and any and all of Promoter’s and or subsidiaries and affiliates and affiliated broadcast stations and networks, successors and assignees and licences) the non-exclusive, worldwide irrevocable right and license, but no obligation, to use the Video and/or any portions or excerpts thereof, in any manner, an unlimited number of times, in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised for any purpose, throughout the universe, in perpetuity. Promoter may use the Video (or any portion thereof) to advertise, promote of publicise, the Competition, SBS and/or SBS’ businesses products in all media and may authorize others to do so.
28. The Entrants acknowledge that Promoter may use the Video in accordance with the permission granted in these Terms and Conditions without any payment to the entrant or any third party and whether or not the entrant is deemed the winner of the Competition.
29. The Promoter may require the Prize winner’s legal parent or guardian to sign a copy of these Terms and Condition to acknowledge receipt, acceptance of and compliance with these Terms and Conditions.
30. The Promoter takes no liability for any tax issues which may arise from accepting a Prize in this Competition. Consult an independent tax adviser if this is a concern.
31. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal or permanent injury or loss of life; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the promotion.
32. The Promoter and the Prize Supplier/s assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction or unauthorised access to, or alterations of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available. If for any reason this Competition is not capable of running as planned, due to causes including, but not limited to tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupt or affect the administrative security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Competition, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion, to take any action that may be available to the fullest extent permitted by law, including to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition. Subject to state regulations.
33. All entries become and remain the property of the Promoter.
34. Entrants consent to their full names and/or their entries being used in all media by the Promoter. Entrants acknowledge and agree they may be required to participate in promotional activities while taking up the Prize.
35. The Promoter may use entrants' names and details for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes. The Promoter may also be required to disclose your personal information to its contractors, agents, co-promoter and to state and territory gaming departments to assist in conducting the Competition.
37. Any entrant found to be using multiple accounts to enter the Competition may be disqualified at SBS’s sole discretion.
38. Prize values are based upon the recommended retail prices at the time of printing (inclusive of GST). The Promoter accepts no responsibility for change in Prize value between now and the ultimate Prize redemption date.
39. If the Prize involves tickets to an event or travel, the Promoter is not responsible for any change in times or dates, cancellations or rescheduling of events that may prevent the Prize Winner from redeeming the Prize or any part of it.
40. It is a condition of accepting the Prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the Prize and the Prize Supplier’s requirements.
41. Travel portions of a Prize may be subject to blackout dates and travel periods as specified in the Schedule. If travel has not been redeemed within this time period, tickets shall be deemed null and void.
42. Neither the Promoter nor the Prize Supplier/s or their associated companies will be held liable for any loss, damage or injury that results directly or indirectly from the Winner taking part in any aspect of the Prize. Where relevant, the Winner agrees that they take full responsibility for any activities engaged in while travelling and engaging in the Prize package and will take out appropriate travel insurance.