With 49 lives lost and another 53 injured, the Pulse nightclub massacre on June 12 was an horrific tragedy felt in LGBTQIA+ communities around the world.
Now four months later, with the final survivor discharged from hospital last month, the OneOrlando fund is set to distribute the $30 million in donations they received from 150,000 individuals and companies, from 120 different countries. Equality Florida - who raised nine of that $30 million - have released a video featuring some of the survivors of the shooting thanking people for their donations, and sharing their stories.
“I was there with my husband and six other friends. I lost four of them in the tragedy," says Angel Colon, one of the many survivors still on the road to recovery.
Another moment features Christine Leinonen reflecting on the night she lost her son Christopher. “Nothing is going to replace my only child," she says. "He was just my whole world.”
Survivor Ricardo Negron expressed his gratitude, saying: “First of all, thank you. Thank you for caring, thank you for acting like decent human beings capable of empathising with the pain that others are feeling.”
“It’s a really good feeling to see that we’re not alone," says Javier Nava, while Adrian Lopez adds: "It means that the world has our back.”
“It restores my faith in humanity that all of these people from all of these countries could give a little love,” shares survivor Brandon Wolf.